Danby Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
I believe the model is the DBF163SS-1

It is the one with the digital thermostat.

I have the opportunity to pick one of these up in "relatively" good working condition for $125.

The guy who is selling it says it is has a temperature problem, it ranges from mid 30s to lower 40s and he can't seem to fix this.

I have a Johnson A419, so I figure I can just run it through this. This will most likely put some ease on the cooling unit and will also help maintain temperature where I want it.

Another issue he says it has : A lot of foam in the beer. I have a brand new kegging system I will be installing, new CO2, new lines, a Taprite regulator, etc. Will this remedy that problem?

Thanks guys, I feel like the price may be right considering the circumstances!

your johnson idea will work fine.

foamy beer: easy solution is longer beer line. try at least 10 feet. another thing you can do is to get an internal fan to blow cold air up the tap shaft. the beer line and taps are getting warm due to lack of air circulation inside the fridge. warm beer = foam.

your johnson idea will work fine.

foamy beer: easy solution is longer beer line. try at least 10 feet. another thing you can do is to get an internal fan to blow cold air up the tap shaft. the beer line and taps are getting warm due to lack of air circulation inside the fridge. warm beer = foam.

Here is what I have planned : New 10' lines. Relocating the temperature controller in the Danby kegerator (reviews state that it is on the floor and is too close to the cooling plate) and installing the resistor in the back to help get the temperature cooler.

Also having a small box with a computer fan built (intake) and a pipe leading up to the draft tower to keep it cold.

Guy selling it says the cooling unit is perfect, compressor is quiet, it is just a bit foamy and thus, he doesn't feel like he should sell it at full price. Think these mods will yield a perfectly functioning kegerator?

Sounds like you got what you want figured out.

If you don't want to do your own splicing of the fan to a wall wort, this fan runs off USB. I use it with a $1 knockoff Chinese iPhone wall plug. Also, it comes with a speed control and retractable cord built in. For $14, it's hard to go wrong:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you got what you want figured out.

If you don't want to do your own splicing of the fan to a wall wort, this fan runs off USB. I use it with a $1 knockoff Chinese iPhone wall plug. Also, it comes with a speed control and retractable cord built in. For $14, it's hard to go wrong:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I was thinking about using some very light adhesive and running my beer line through about 12-14" of snugly fit copper tubing up into the tower. Copper will stay nice and cold if I have about 3 or 4 inches of it jutting out into the cold fridge below, I could add some foam insulation towards the top as a safe measure.

This will prevent the air from blowing up the tower, essentially cooling the room.

I did a search on this forum and someone had this idea a few years ago with solid results. Copper tubing isn't too terribly expensive for my application and requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I thought you wanted to cool the room. Would raise the fridge temp above the range it is in now.

Sounds like you like your beer ice cold. Nothing wrong with that.

Big fan of the kolsch/wheat, so I keep it around 40-42 :mug:

Back