Danby Kegerator Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betsy Baker

Reaction score
I bought a Danby kegerator and started using it about 6 months ago. This is my first kegerator but honestly I really don’t think the regulator has ever worked. Tonight I put my refilled co2 tank on the kegerator and for some reason the regulator spikes up to full pressure and then the regulator releases the pressure when it gets high. It almost seems like some kind of safety setting. I really just want my regulator to be 5-10psi so I can pour beer but it’s not working. Any advice??

It has to have worked to some extent, Betsy, or you wouldn't have poured much beer from your kegerator.

When you say the regulator releases pressure when it gets high, do you mean you hear a PSSSSSSS or hissing sound at the regulator, or that you hear a sort of groaning sound?

The groaning sound is normal--it's the regulator adding gas to your beer kegs. A hissing sound suggests either a problem with the pressure relief valve or the regulator.

It’s a hissing/air release sound. The regulator shows increasing pressure, then quickly releases all pressure, refills quickly, releases, etc.

sounds like somethings wrong. Regs are designed to stay stable not spike and drop. My full tank is always at 800 psi with a full tank at room temp then slowly drops till empty. They make rebuild kits but if it were me I'd just buy a new dual gauge reg. One gauge reads the tank PSI and one reads the serving PSI. There around $50.

Actually I'd call Danby for a replacement first. Cant hurt

Your pissin away your air and probably getting inconsistent pours. Not worth the headache for an easy swap. On a side note "most" beers serve at around 10/12 psi. 5 psi is way low. There is a chart that everyone uses that will give you the right psi at different beer temps.

Back