Danby DCF070A1WDBD (costco) keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhm_pa

Reaction score
Freezer Info:
- Danby DCF070A1WDBD (http://www.danby.com/en/US/our_products/freezers/dcf070a1wdb)
- purchased from costco $180
- 7.0 cuft 39.92" W x 22.2" D x 33.07" H
- energy guide rated at $29 per year for operating costs
- fits 4 ball lock kegs in the main compartment easily (with taps and hoses)
- will fit a 5th ball lock keg (or your CO2 tank) on the compressor hump with a 10" collar
- the thermostat has a set screw on the left side, after turning it about 8 times then playing with half turns for a day, I was able to get the freezer to stay at a constant 35 degrees (I have an ambient thermometer and a thermometer sitting in water to monitor temperatures)

Build Info:
- I wanted to build my keezer without modifying the actual freezer, so I went with a double hinged setup. You'll see below I left the factory hinge attached to the freezer connected to the collar. I then modified a 3" fence hinge to connect to the factory holes on the lid and screwed this into the collar.
- I used 2x10" select pine cut to the exact outside dimensions of the freezer. The Danby freezer has rounded edges so the collar sticks out at the corners a bit, so I rounded all the collars so it wasn't as dramatic. I wanted stain on the wood instead of paint or enamel, but I am the farthest thing from a woodworker - and staining pine is supposed to be difficult. So I ebonized the wood using steel wool dissolved in vinegar/bleach. I then sealed the wood using paste wax inside and out.
- To seal the collar I attached 1 1/4" vinyl foam (frost king weather stripping from Lowes) to the bottom of the collar. I decided against attaching it to the freezer because I was afraid I would knock into it when loading kegs. Inside the freezer I lined the collar with 2" foam board. I cut the foam tight to the edges so it would stay in place. The Danby freezer also has an indent in the top, I cut the foam board longer then the collar to drop into this indent and it helps seal the gap around the bottom of the collar.
- I installed 3 Perlick 630SS taps in the front, there is room for 2 more when I get more kegs to put in there.
- The base was made from 2x4 also ebonized - though it came out a lot darker then the collar. The freezer has the compressor mounted to a metal bar underneath that drops down about 3/8", so I ran the 2x4s in 3 lengths front to back. Underneath that I ran 2 2x4 the width of the freezer with casters attached as wide as possible for stability. The whole thing is solid.

So far so good - my temperature probe (in a bottle of water) was reading 34.5 degrees (my set temp) after running for about 6 hours.

Back