Damn Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
So... It got freaking cold here the last week in Nebraska. Tons of snow, avg of about 20 degrees.

I started to brew today and went to run hot water+cleaning chemicals through the ol' brew magic system. Flipped the valve from the hot liqour tank and POP, broken march pump. Very cold march pump plus hot water = crack! Lesson learned... $140.00 lesson.

Fortunately I had been assembling a cooler mash-tun for my brother-in-law, so I'm gonna finish it and do a five gallon batch in it today instead.

Winter sucks....

One of the nice things about the March pumps, you can rebuild the pump head, for a lot less ($30) than the cost of replacing the whole pump.

It's been in the single digits all week and the first winter storm is slow coming in, so I'll be driving to the Heart of the Valley Holiday party in "winter mix".

haha ya i get to brew in 0 degrees here soon, just got a propane burner cuz brewing inside is making the house fog up way to much

One of the nice things about the March pumps, you can rebuild the pump head, for a lot less ($30) than the cost of replacing the whole pump.

It's been in the single digits all week and the first winter storm is slow coming in, so I'll be driving to the Heart of the Valley Holiday party in "winter mix".

I'll do that - I figured there was a way to rebuild what I broke, but bought a new pump anyway. My neighbor needs one so I figure he can rebuild it.

What a pain though - gonna brew the old fashioned way in a cooler tomorrow instead. Cooler brewing is good stuff anyway - much easier to clean.

Back