Damn tannins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkstashcrashes

Reaction score
Well one of my brews is really astringent and i know i released tannins on one of my grain steeps. I boiled the crystal malt (i know i know). After searching around here i haven't found a definite answer if there is a possible way to reverse this. Does anyone have any ideas?

as far as i know once you leech tannins your pretty much doomed. I was reading earlier about products to remove tannins to prevent chill haze but im pretty sure the flavor will be there regardless. next time go to home depot and get a 5 gal paint strainer.

Are you tasting and judging your beer while it is still in the fermenter or have you bottled yet? And if so how long in the bottles...

Many many many new brewers misdiagnose their beers, and/or judge their beer while still in the fermenter or too young in the bottle, and misdiagnose their beers while they are simply young...Heck most of my beers taste like Ice Tea in the fermentor, but taste wonderful after they have carbed an conditioned in the bottle for a few weeks, or months...

I don't buy anyones diagnosis unless the beer has been in the bottle for at least 8 weeks....too many people, including myself have made that mistake, set the beers aside and they have tasted fine...

And that includes people who have accdently boilied grains, and tasted ice-tea,....

Our beer has a way of surprising us.

Here's some reading for ya....Revvy's Blog of patience and bottle conditioning.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

These types of threads happen daily...so unless you tell me that your beer is 8 weeks or more in the bottles, then I'm NOT buying your self-diagnoses as anything other than green beer, and NOT counting your beer out yet. and you better not either.

:D

haha thanks revvy, and good posts!

Yeah its only been in the secondary for about 2 weeks, and 3 weeks in primary before that. I guess my paranoia is getting the best of me here. I still plan on racking to the bottles on Friday. Took an OG reading few hours ago 1.010 little low but its ok. I will def NOT dump the beer. Until i know for certain that this is a done deal(fingers crosses), i wont jump to conclusions. Thanks guys!

If you do have tannins or any "off" flavor - fear not - most things subside over time. I had one brew that was totally undrinkable after 1 month. tasted metallic, like I was sucking on aluminum as an after taste.

The base was great but the very last flavor event was a deal breaker.

4 months later I gave some to a frien and he called me saying "What was bad about this?" (yea - he gets free Class "B" beer).

I ran downstairs and popped one open and the off flavor had completely vanished.

Back