Damn flies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fark_8_k9yeOewD6sYqsSfGkz51CGiPY.gif

Sure you did not get another hatching in your trash, or from under floorboards or something?

no i went outside, everytime i open a door 100 of them fly in. i think it's a desert thing....

edit: then they all hang out the windows like they want out....if i open door and offer to let them though, more just come in! and hang out in the window.....

Last edited:
Probably waiting for you to offer them a beer. So be a gracious host..
They actually love beer. And they will all drown in it. One bird two stones. Or something like that.

Make them happy for the rest of their lives and get rid of them. It's like you can lit a fire for a man and keep him warm for an evening. Or you can set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

no i went outside, everytime i open a door 100 of them fly in. i think it's a desert thing....

Lived in a "house" in VT near a cow pasture, not just a desert thing. Sleep in a room w/o screens and they would be crawling on your eyes when you wake up in morning, after first light anyway. Weird thing too is they make a lot of effort to come in house before first frost just to die in mass on the window sills anyway, presumably because their life cycle over.

"woke up this morning was feeling quite queer, flies in my beer, my toothpaste was smeared ....." Byrds, Mr Spaceman.... a little off topic but is what jumped in my addled mind...

they all hang out the windows like they want out....if i open door and offer to let them though, more just come in! and hang out in the window.....
We don't get a lot of them often anymore, keeping the doors closed. But had a few outbreaks some years ago, like 50 or so had hatched at the same time, all the same size, hanging out on certain windows, no clue where they came from.

We found out spraying them with Starsan (always have a few bottles handy) was the best way to get rid of them. Once their wings get wet they don't fly anymore. Easy to mop em up, en masse.

Pretty rarely, to be honest. We don't really have house flies to contend with around here.

We do get besieged by random stuff though. Like stinkbugs: last year was friggin' ridiculous, they find their way through the smallest gaps in doors and sliders and windows, etc. They definitely have longer life spans that house flies. We must've vacuumed up a thousand of those nasty things last summer and well into the fall. And then there's the pumpkin seed/"ladybugs". Some years we might vacuum up a dozen of those every day until they're done...

Cheers!

Pretty rarely, to be honest. We don't really have house flies to contend with around here.

We do get besieged by random stuff though. Like stinkbugs: last year was friggin' ridiculous, they find their way through the smallest gaps in doors and sliders and windows, etc. They definitely have longer life spans that house flies. We must've vacuumed up a thousand of those nasty things last summer and well into the fall. And then there's the pumpkin seed/"ladybugs". Some years we might vacuum up a dozen of those every day until they're done...

Cheers!

flies around here apparently like ears and eyes, do the stink bugs try to crawl up your nose while you're trying to get to sleep? lol

:thumbsup::thumbsup::popcorn::inbottle::bigmug: damn! i was too scared of breaking a window with the fly swatter....now i'm thinking tomorrow, i'm getting the vacuum out, and try that at the windows for these S.O.B.'s!

Yikes! No, the stinkbugs and ladybug/pumpkinseeds just hang out being annoying by their very presence. Though I will say the former are attracted to light and have been known to dive-bomb us under the dining room table chandelier. Nothing quite so ridiculous looking as a pair of adult humans shielding their dinner plates and glasses while trying to figure out how they can murder an antagonistic bug :D

Cheers!

Nothing quite so ridiculous looking as a pair of adult humans shielding their dinner plates and glasses while trying to figure out how they can murder an antagonistic bug

not really, those SOBs are smart too! never underestimate them! and with as fast as they move, they're like a crack addict!

Bug-A-Salt: The Original Salt Gun | Bug-A-Salt

Then, again, if you want a more, uh, active solution...

"Turns Grown Men back into Little Kids, again..."

these son o polite comment here....are on crack, that would take skeet shooting to a professional sport! i think i saw a star trek episode, guinanen was old and wise, i don't think she'd be able to hit one...

Heh... Actually, I invented/discovered something way before this, like this back when I was 11... my empty $9 Daisy BB rifle and either rice or some plant fertilizer that came in little beads. But, gotta give it to the guy, table salt, nice small size, CO2 cylinder... even a pistol style one now... Glad to see he's still in business.

Last edited:
Back