Damn economy!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well folks, it finally got me.... life/economy etc.
I left work Friday to pick up lunch for me and the wife. A truck stopped in front of me to turn left and I stopped a car-length or so behind him. We had been sitting there for several seconds waiting for traffic to clear when I looked into my rearview and saw a car coming up behind me. Well, as I looked away to see if the truck was moving yet, it occurred to me, "WOW, that car is flying up on me." Before I could look up again, BAM! He tried to insert the nose of his Honda Accord up my smart's little poot chute at 45 MPH. That crammed me into the back of the pickup truck that was still stopped in front of me.
My back and neck is killing me, my feelings are hurt, my little smart has looked much better.
After getting home from the ER, I found out that I had been laid off along with 7 other people. So much for the hope that engineers were a little better insulated from the economic down-turn.
A least I have plenty of time to brew now. Of course, it freakin' hurts to lift a bottle of brew, much less a full carboy. Mmmmm.... pain pills and beer. Such is life.

I left work Friday to pick up lunch for me and the wife. A truck stopped in front of me to turn left and I stopped a car-length or so behind him. We had been sitting there for several seconds waiting for traffic to clear when I looked into my rearview and saw a car coming up behind me. Well, as I looked away to see if the truck was moving yet, it occurred to me, "WOW, that car is flying up on me." Before I could look up again, BAM! He tried to insert the nose of his Honda Accord up my smart's little poot chute at 45 MPH. That crammed me into the back of the pickup truck that was still stopped in front of me.
My back and neck is killing me, my feelings are hurt, my little smart has looked much better.
After getting home from the ER, I found out that I had been laid off along with 7 other people. So much for the hope that engineers were a little better insulated from the economic down-turn.
A least I have plenty of time to brew now. Of course, it freakin' hurts to lift a bottle of brew, much less a full carboy. Mmmmm.... pain pills and beer. Such is life.

Sorry to hear about this... damn. Our thoughts are with you. I am glad you survived the Smart accident!

I heard some ****** yesterday say that the stimulus is working and that the economy is turning around... and that we have the govt. to thank. Meanwhile, people are still losing jobs... *****es have no idea what is happening in the real world.

Brew on.

Glad to hear you're still around and able to talk about your experience...No matter how bad it gets, it can always be worse. :eek:

smart-car-crash.jpg

I am sorry. I think that there are few untouched industries. I hate to say it but I always do when someone needs a job. Starbucks, Grocery Stores and Mcdonalds are hiring. And booze places. Food and Alcohol really are the few things that survive a poor economy.

I am really sorry to hear about your unfortunate run of events. I wish you a speedy recovery and a round of good luck.

There is a $100 gift certificate with your name on it waiting for you. Just PM me your name and address.

Brewing usually cures what ales ya.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Wow Cool Forrest.

Well at least you can sue his Insurance. You should be able to get a years pay from that.

WOW! Thanks guys. I really appreciate the kind words and consideration. And Forrest, you are unbelievably awesome as usual.
The little car came out on top in my opinion. The Honda was not drivable, but I drove mine home.
Contrary to what many believe, the smart is a tough well designed little car.

honda.jpg

img_2295.jpg

img_2289.jpg

img_2291.jpg

Wow, glad you're 'alright' in most senses, I hope those pains and aches come to pass as quickly as possible. It appears that your smart did not turn out as poorly as it could have, I've heard very good things about the safety ratings on those.

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Wow, that sucks, a double whammy. At least you're still vertical, and above ground.

I like the pic of the back of your Smart, the sticker says "Actual Size". I've heard that those Smarts are tough little buggies, and apparently it's true.

It is like hitting a ping pong ball with a baseball bat. Even though there is a huge difference in mass, the ball merely bounces off because it is so light. That seems to be what the smart did. The damage to the rear seems to only be three metal braces, the exhaust, and plastic body panels. The front was worse because of the judicious use of plastic. However, everything that appears to be damaged is bolt-on stuff. Nothing structural.
And thank God for high seat-backs! Most headrests hit me at the base of the neck, which could have been very ugly for me.
Considering he was traveling at 45 MPH and only left about 15 ft of skid marks, that was a pretty high speed at point of impact. I would say the smart is a pretty tough little bugger as well.

I am really sorry to hear about your unfortunate run of events. I wish you a speedy recovery and a round of good luck.

There is a $100 gift certificate with your name on it waiting for you. Just PM me your name and address.

Brewing usually cures what ales ya.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Wow, way to go Forrest! I'll tell you right now, you definitely have my next order because of your generosity in this thread.

To the OP - I'm glad you are OK and wish you a speedy recovery health wise as well as with finding a job.

I almost had this happen to me. Heard squealing tires and looked in the mirror just in time to see a Camaro spin off into a utility pole.

Getting laid off bites. My company's sales are down again. They were coming up in the Spring, but no more.

Happy brewing though.

That sucks. Here's to a speedy recovery and speedy job search :mug:

I was sitting on Central Expressway in Dallas on Friday afternoon at a dead stop (typical). I checked my review mirror and saw a red Ranger coming up on the Saturn behind me (also stopped) fast. I grabbed the steering wheel, hunkerd down, and stood on the brakes.

That little ranger plowed into the saturn which plowed into my A4. After we got out (the other two cars weren't driveable), the kids gets out of the ranger with his chest all bowed up and said: "what the hell were ya'll stopped for?!??" It was all we could do to not beat the snot out of the little bugger right there.

3:1 odds the guy that hit you was either on the phone or texting. There ought to be a special place in hell for those folks.

You may want to talk to a personal injury lawyer. You'll likely get a lot more out of the settlement that way, and being laid off you're going to need it.

You know, I am having a tough time making a decision about the lawyer. I have always griped about the people who want an easy "get rich quick at the expense of the insurance company" type thing. At the same time though, I did absolutely nothing wrong and the other insurance company has accepted 100% responsibility saying their client was at fault. I just want the outcome to be fair and just. I don't know yet if I HAVE to have a lawyer for that or if there is still some sense of humanity and compassion in the insurance world.
I guess I will just have to see what they propose up front and let that decide for me. If they treat me fairly, it will be mutual. If they try to low-ball me and treat me like I'm a moron, then 1-800-screw-em will be my next move.

Sue the **** out of him. It's the American way!

I know what you're saying though, I hate all the sue happy people out there just looking for any excuse to make a quick buck and tie up our courts. At the same time, this is probably a legitimate reason to try and get some fair compensation and if you aren't going to get it without litigation, it might be worth the trouble.

I have been away from here for the last few weeks, so I see quite a few names/faces that I don't recognize. But this thread is a fine example of one of the reasons I love homebrewing. It is not just the "old timers" on here that offered up their concern for me, but even people that I haven't had any dialog with, ever. Homebrewing brings out the best in people, a friendship behind the public BS that extends beyond just firing up the burners and pitching yeast.
Thanks to each and every one of you who cared enough to post and offer your sympathies.

Disclaimer: The "mushiness" can be attributed to the muscle relaxers and pain pills. I am not hitting on any one of you. :cross:

Bull I thougth you were hitting on me. Glad I just got the wrong impression. Glad the pain pills are working for you. :drunk:

hehehe They are working for the most part, but they seem to make me a little stooooopid.
I can tell when I get up in the mornings and the medicine has worn off just how much I hurt.
Oh well, I am going to try and brew a batch or two while I have some time off when the pain starts to dissipate a little.

Well, just as a little update, the insurance company has decided to total my little car. There was no frame damage that they could locate. But because the car is so new and unique, there are no aftermarket parts. And getting all the plastic from Germany was going to prove to be quite expensive apparently. Whoever gets this ride from the insurance company will get one hell of a deal.
Now, I have to worry about getting a new one though. At least there won't be a wait this time. I had to wait 13 months to get this one.
Again, thanks to all you guys who helped me out and shared their concern.
And a special thanks to Forrest! You really brightened my day and have given me something to look forward to as soon as I am able physically able to brew again.

I hope sooner rather than later......

WOW!
The best thing is hearing your ok and did not wake up in the hospital with tubes in your arms. I know that sounded bad but your ok as your health is first thing the vehicle can be replaced. You should be able to buy it back if you so wish and take your time on the replacement parts to put it together again yourself. Insurance companies want to close these injury cases ASAP before any injuries from this accident pop up later. On your medical , DO NOT SIGN ANY MEDICAL RELEASE FORMS AT ALL! If I recall you have up to a year to file against the party that hit you should you have more medical injuries later on hence the wait until the maximum time limit has about past. Don't go over this time limit. They want you to settle ASAP before you come up with any soft tissue injury damage that may haunt you later in life. I'm talking the onset of arthritis later in life from this accident unless it was only a light bump to your body and your 100% ok. Trust me on this one as my 1987 back injury got bad over the years. Thru WORKMANS COMP a injury is "considered stable by the 3 year time limit". This from a Superior court judge. The judge after 21 years past this injury gave me the maximum award of $10K and the case considered closed. I had to take it or get zero.
My lower back, lumbar area with two discs plasma trimmed away from the spinal column was due to working the trade for 27 years as a wireman. Oh, after a 5 year SSD battle the judge approved my award papers as I had 47 files all in my favor. This court award was sitting 7 months at the courthouse after the court award it took my Congressman and 3 letters to get this award speeded up. I'm waiting for the "OFFICAL AWARD PAPER" now not the "in your favor statement" before the International and the NEBF start their back payments and payments as well the local union's pension back pay and increase to 100% of my 27 years service that became 30 as I was still a active member until 3-26-09. Now 2 1/2 months from surgery still on Vicodins and Percocets on bad days still on the mend. If I lift 20# off the ground i'm dead on Percocets for 4 days, slow healing push it that can cause more damage.

Bottom line your OK and do not sign off until your 100% back to normal should any PT be required before your legal time limit has been reached. This is their fear hence wanting to have you sign off any future medical ASAP and close your case. I know your up on your rights and understand English not like many people that get screwed this way on fast sign offs.
I'm glad your OK bull that's what counts the most. Work will be available again in time your health is first.

My locals about totally dead, 2-3 short calls a week with 270 members out of work and it's summer time, WTF? Wait until winter. I recall 12 months ago the president said the economy has turned around and is improving at a fast pace. This must of been if you were not a wireman, EE but in oil is my guess.
My friends dad made millions he was in oil, what a great ride he had and now retired touring the world. He's at Tour De France as I type this.
Get well soon with 100% recovery that is the important issue at the moment.
Take care bull. Carl.....Sorry for the novel other HBT members, I had to speak up as I have been thru hell on how we Americans are treated by our own system. My mirrors were always in use when i was riding mototcycles all the time looking to the rear. Cheers.

You know, I am having a tough time making a decision about the lawyer. I have always griped about the people who want an easy "get rich quick at the expense of the insurance company" type thing. At the same time though, I did absolutely nothing wrong and the other insurance company has accepted 100% responsibility saying their client was at fault. I just want the outcome to be fair and just. I don't know yet if I HAVE to have a lawyer for that or if there is still some sense of humanity and compassion in the insurance world.
I guess I will just have to see what they propose up front and let that decide for me. If they treat me fairly, it will be mutual. If they try to low-ball me and treat me like I'm a moron, then 1-800-screw-em will be my next move.

I think that is a wise decision. I also HATE that a lot of americans are trying to get rich at someone else's expense and not lift a finger to provide for themselves. If the insurance company offers you a respectable settlement, then I say that's fair. But I would more likely expect that they will try to bend you over. I have never been in that kind of situation, but have witnessed it through family members. If that's the case, then go get 'em and let us know how it all turns out. But just remember, don't spend it at the homebrew store until you have cash in hand. They even like to drag out the payment timeframe once an amount has been settled.

J

Whoever gets this ride from the insurance company will get one hell of a deal.

When I totaled my car back in the day, the insurance company offered to sell it to me on the cheap. Are they not offering, or are you not interested in fixing it back up?

Glad to hear you are alright, just saw this thread. :mug:

-Neal

Thanks for the novel Carl. i know you are most definitely experienced in these matters. I am biding my time and not rushing at all.
I just want to get over the pain right now so I can look for work again. I am blessed in most cases by having a desk job by trade. But just sitting here at the kitchen table is very uncomfortable after a short while. So being tied to a computer for 8+ hours and being expected to focus may be a little much to ask at the moment.
In any case, they gave me a preliminary figure on my car. Even though I am hoping for a little more when we talk again Monday, it is within $2k of a brand new replacement. All in all, I guess I will be ok there. Plus the Credit Union said I can go ahead and buy a new one and they will take care of the other loan until the ins co pays off. (I love my credit union!)
neal - They/We haven't settled on a price yet, so they haven't even discussed if buying it would be an option.

Bull, where is your pain? If it's anywhere in the spine, then definitely don't settle right away. I'm a retired firefighter. Retired due to neck, shoulder and back injuries. The shoulder is what officially put me out, but it's the neck and back that keep coming back to haunt me. Two years after retiring, I had neck surgery, the result is two vertebra (C6-7) fused. And just this past February, the pain in my lumbar got to the point where I couldn't walk. Just to give you a time frame, I've been retired for five years this past April. I'm going to be seeing the doc again for my neck, I'm getting stiff and sore again. So, don't think that you'll be completely healed once your pain is gone. Request an MRI, and follow up with your doc if you have the slightest discomfort in the future.

Good luck.

Well, just as a little update, the insurance company has decided to total my little car. There was no frame damage that they could locate. But because the car is so new and unique, there are no aftermarket parts. And getting all the plastic from Germany was going to prove to be quite expensive apparently. Whoever gets this ride from the insurance company will get one hell of a deal.
Now, I have to worry about getting a new one though. At least there won't be a wait this time. I had to wait 13 months to get this one.
Again, thanks to all you guys who helped me out and shared their concern.
And a special thanks to Forrest! You really brightened my day and have given me something to look forward to as soon as I am able physically able to brew again.

I hope sooner rather than later......

Geez, Bull, I just saw this! I'm so sorry about your car and your pain.

I'm glad it wasn't worse as far as the accident was concerned.

I'm also to hear of you being laid off. I guess none of us are ever really "safe", but I thought that you would be one of the ones that would be in demand even when the rest of us are looking for work. I'm so sorry to hear of all this.

Keep us informed on what's going on with you. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Very sorry to hear this news, but it sounds like you'll be OK in the long run physically, and that's the main thing. I hope you'll land on your feet soon professionally as well.

Geez, Bull, I just saw this! I'm so sorry about your car and your pain.

I'm glad it wasn't worse as far as the accident was concerned.

I'm also to hear of you being laid off. I guess none of us are ever really "safe", but I thought that you would be one of the ones that would be in demand even when the rest of us are looking for work. I'm so sorry to hear of all this.

Keep us informed on what's going on with you. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Well Yoop, now I have plenty of time to police the forums. I have thought about applying for a moderator position here to supplement.... hehehe
Thank you for your concern and thoughts.

Very sorry to hear this news, but it sounds like you'll be OK in the long run physically, and that's the main thing. I hope you'll land on your feet soon professionally as well.

Thanks fastricky, I appreciate the sentiments. I am sure it is all for the best and something great will come out of it. It is just kind of difficult to see at the moment.

You should always hire a lawyer. Insurance companies use fallible computer software to dole out claim payments. Until last year most insurance companies used a program called "Colossus" to determine payouts for claims. Apparently, the companies that used "Colossus" and the software company that developed it are in a $65,000,000 class action law suit right now for short changing claim settlements.

Don't feel bad about ripping off an insurance company. If you have a poor memory we tax paying hard working americans just bailed those companies out. For no reason. Maybe the reason was their own insufficiency and greediness. As a working class US citizen you need to leach these idiocracies for everything they have!

Next time I think I'm having a bad day I'll remember your post and have a beer in your honor. :mug:

It will be most appreciated, I assure you.
As bad as I hurt and as bad as it seems, I still have so much to be thankful for as far as the accident goes. At least I was alone and not with my wife or one of my children.
Now, I think I will have a beer in my honor too. :mug:

Back