Damn Brits Aren't Doing Enough For The Global Economy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You're not drinking in pubs enough.:mug:

I just saw it on CNN...

PUBS CLOSE AS BEER SALES HIT THE FLOOR

Britain’s pubs are in jeopardy as drinkers stay away in droves – downing 2.2million fewer pints of beer a day than they did a year ago.

The beer industry blames the Government’s hikes in alcohol tax for driving up the price of a pint.

Pubs are bearing the brunt of the decline and the British Beer and Pub Association has warned that they are closing at a record rate.

Chief executive Rob Hayward said: “Many pubs are struggling. Closures are nearing six a day.”

The BBPA says the slump in beer sales is costing the Treasury millions of pounds in lost tax.

Struggling pub bosses have to take second jobs

By David MacLean
A BREWERY boss said some South Tyneside landlords are turning to second jobs just to keep their pub afloat.

Jarrow Brewery owner Jess McConnell said the future looks bleak for publicans.

His comments come after figures show beer sales fell by 8.3 per cent in the final quarter of 2008.

The British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) recorded the highest fourth quarter fall since records began, with 2.2 million fewer pints of beer bought every day in pubs, restaurants and shops compared with the same period in 2007.

The BBPA blamed the decline in sales, which it says has pushed the rate of pub closures to six per day, on the Government's 18 per cent rise in beer duty in 2008.

Mr McConnell, who owns pubs in South Shields, Jarrow and Bill Quay, said: "The future looks bleak for many publicans, and many are giving up, while some are considering second jobs during the day and closing the pub at quieter times.

"The number of pubs closing in Britain has accelerated to 39 per week, 10 times as fast as in 2006.

"The only positive is the continued resurgence of real ale, which you still have to leave the house for."

Rob Hayward, chief executive, of the BBPA, said: "We are not asking for a tax handout – we just don't want our tax burden to be made worse."

The BBPA says that despite tax rises, it estimates falling beer sales have cost the Government £181m in duty and VAT since the March Budget.

Beer sales for 2008 dropped 5.5 per cent compared with 2007.

The figures, from the UK Quarterly Beer Barometer, reveal the brewing industry sold 404 million fewer pints at the end of 2008 than 10 years ago.

The Campaign for Real Ale has called for Government action, beginning with a freeze on beer tax.

A Treasury spokesman said: "The changes to alcohol duty announced in Budget 2008 will raise revenue to make progress towards the Government's target of halving child poverty on the way to eradicating it by 2020."

You know I have a simple dream, some day I want to go to England, and sit in a pub and enjoy a Pint of real ale and a Cigarette (oops I here you can't do that any more, good thing I quit.)

But if you Brits don't do your part and get out there and DRINK, DRINK, DRINK....There won't be any pubs left. :(

You're not drinking in pubs enough.:mug:

I just saw it on CNN...

You know I have a simple dream, some day I want to go to England, and sit in a pub and enjoy a Pint of real ale and a Cigarette (oops I here you can't do that any more, good thing I quit.)

But if you Brits don't do your part and get out there and DRINK, DRINK, DRINK....There won't be any pubs left. :(
Excellent. Now we have a reason to deport the Gnome. He needs to do his part in his homeland. :rockin:;)

Time for the brits to start homebrewing! Or maybe they have already...and now their pub is their own living room?

Britain’s pubs are in jeopardy as drinkers stay away in droves – downing 2.2million fewer pints of beer a day than they did a year ago.

When I saw that statistic I thought it was per person. :tank:

I'll go to the pub now so... Just to keep Ireland from falling into the same peril as the UK ;) :)

Good, I don't want to be hearing about any "Guinness famine" because lord knows we don't need MORE Irish over here:D

I'll go to the pub now so... Just to keep Ireland from falling into the same peril as the UK ;) :)

You're a true Patriot and I salute you for it.:mug:

Time for the brits to start homebrewing! Or maybe they have already...and now their pub is their own living room?

No No No!!!! That's the problem..Homebrewing means not going to the pub as often.

I lay this current English pub closing crisis right at the feet of Orfy...He brews beer, and he cooks...and even cooks that classic pub grub, the curry...so I bet he hardly goes to the pub...and then his friends go "Hey, if Orfy's not down at the "Ye Olde Balde Goat Scroat" (or whatever his local is called) then it's not going to be much fun, so I might as well stay at home and watch that Faulty Towers marathon. "

Then their friends do the same...and it spreads like a pebble dropped in the river....And soon the only place to be able to get a pint in England will be BMC at the local Red Robin or Fudrucker's chain....

*sigh* Bloody Orfy...;)

Crying shame. Maybe it would help to significantly lower the tax on real ale since it's significant to national identity... or maybe hook up with English Heritage and make some of the older pubs "Historic Buildings" and give them an alcohol tax break. I don't know, I'm trying to think outside the box here. We must save the pubs!

Then their friends do the same...and it spreads like a pebble dropped in the river....And soon the only place to be able to get a pint in England will be BMC at the local Red Robin or Fudrucker's chain....

*sigh* Bloody Orfy...;)

I thought Budweiser was all the brits like to drink anyways...maybe that's the problem. :D

Here in Sheffield there are at least six pubs in my area that have "for sale" signs on them, so I think the story's spot on. Ironically, though, they're all crap, dirty pubs that sell piss-awful beer. The pubs around here that sell real ale, or which have a good range of imported beer, seem to be thriving as well as they ever have. I was in one on Monday and I couldn't get a seat.

I say we help our English friends out! We can drink more for them. Sort of like buying carbon credits or something. We can buy their unused beer credits and drink more here!

Do it for the beer!!!

funny there was also a recent article about how Brits were drinking more than the "government suggested" 2 beers per day and should dry out...

More like you and I would start a pub sooner ;)

Freakin' genius! We're off to buy a foreclosed English pub!

The good news is that we can't bring guns to England so it will be hand to hand combat over the last beer. Brutal, but fair and slightly comical in a 'what the hell are you two drunken ******** doing?' kind of way. :tank:

You can have a brass tap handle. I'll deftly insert it myself.

Cry CAMRA, and let slip the dogs of war!

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. - Sun Tzu

I only go to pubs with real ale. The rest can close for me.
I consciously make an effort to support and reward the the pubs making an effort.
I try and spend my limited ££ with the little guys.

I visited 2 pubs yesterday.

It's getting bad.

The last time it was this bad was in the war. and it's only just the begging.
I've been forecasting this for years but I didn't think it was the banks that'd kick it of.
I thought it'd be a big conflict or fuel.

I think our parent company will be lucky to survive the next 6 months.
That means that we may be sold. Last time that happened the company didn't survive.

I don't like to think about it.

Don't think about it too much. Just work hard and plan ahead the best you can.

I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in at this time, but people are losing work and businesses around me are crumbling. Can't ever say it won't hit my industry.

Looks like it's a scary time for everyone. Let's all raise a glass to pushing through the hard times, helping those less fortunate, and moving towards a new tomorrow.
:mug:

I'm back from the pub, well back in work... Didn't make it home... :)

Things are slowing up here alot too. Lots of pubs shutting around the place or changing hands...

Latest posts

Back