• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Dallas TX regulator scrap yard find $4 lb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I came across a big container of co2 regulators from a beverage setup at Golds Metal on Lamar. Some of them are banged up but there are plenty of good ones. The tank connection side is for a high pressure hose. (which there are plenty of) The regs are set up as dual primaries. I brought home 6 of them and they all work perfect. They are left hand thread on the primary side. Taprite brand, there are also some odd fixed corenelius regs, wall mount plates, a bunch of stainless 3/8 ball valves. Bring a wrench and screwdriver or 2 and be prepared to pay $4 lb for the brass. I plan on going back this morning to get a couple more fittings and gages but there is literally a pallet cube full of them. It's located near the aluminum gas cylinders, a few people do speak english out there in the yard and most who do are very friendly. I'd buy more of it and resell but I don't have the time.
Just to be aware: walking around a scrap yard is dangerous and dirty, wear good boots and gloves, this place is busy so keep your eyes open and watch where you step. They take cash only.
There are also a lot of stainless 6 port manifolds used for water distribution, with ball valves and although the ball valves are 3/8" thread, the barb on the out end is bigger like 1/2" and the throughput looks much better than what I typically see for 3/8, they are these Mccanns Water Management Manifold - 6 out
manifold_6out.jpg

Is there anyone in the area who might be willing to score a few regulators for those of outside the Dallas area? Sounds like a little profit could be had and still be a good deal for buyers.

Is there anyone in the area who might be willing to score a few regulators for those of outside the Dallas area? Sounds like a little profit could be had and still be a good deal for buyers.

I am going to try and head down there at lunch. I'll post back if I do

However I am sans boots and gloves, so we'll see what I can get out of there

1234:
I see posts here frequently about deals being found in localities. I'm just trying to help other brewers out. I don't normally post about my gold mine of a scrap yard but I hate to see all this go to the crusher. I don't have the time or capital to buy the truckload of stuff, clean, test, advertise and ship but if someone else does please do. I was charged $3.50 lb for the brass, I picked up extra gages and fittings this morning and my bag came out to $35. That's standing in the sun and dirt (lots of dust in the air) with a couple wrenches salvaging the best parts that have not been busted. Yesterday I spent $50. I am set for life with regulators, fittings and gages now, I hope. Plus I am helping a couple friends get their kegging setups together.
It's only worth it for someone local willing to get a little dirty and sweaty, separate the good from the bad, unless they negotiate a better per lb price at quantity.

Thanks for the awesome aerial shot bendavanza! I work in Plano, but my buddy (MeanGreen) works in Dallas and is headed down to check things out. I am his radio contact to assist in the operation :D

Look forward to what cool stuff he finds

The classified section is for those advertising product they would like to buy or sell. This should be posted in another area. If I scored something from craigslist I wouldn't post it here.

I'm in Houston but if anyone in Dallas could get me some of the water manifolds I would pay for your effort and could drive up there to pick them up. If not I will make a trip up there this weekend so leave me some :) ! Thanks!

Sorry to piss on your parade, but this is the best area I can see to post it in, and 2 members are already interested in pursuing the lead. The parts are for sale, at the scrap yard. Half the postings in classifieds here are links to craigslist that they found to be of interest to other members. My post's title is clearly stating scrap yard and the per lb price.
Are you some kind of forum moderator? jeez.

The classified section is for those advertising product they would like to buy or sell. This should be posted in another area. If I scored something from craigslist I wouldn't post it here.

Easy there big fella, he's just trying to help everyone out. If the Mod's see fit they will move this, but I doubt that will happen. :mug: Cheers!

Well colossal fail for me.

Badger was helping coordinate me to the pile and boy is it a mother load.

After 2 hours of sorting and checking etc in loafers and dress slacks. I go to checkout and get....

DENIED

These allegedly have been marked for destruction and should not be sold. He said hes had 4 people in already to buy them. I told him I know people have bought them.

I'm not up on Junkyard law so I turned over what I had, knowing I probably could have kept a few.

I guess it all depends who you catch at checkout.

Big thank you for the heads up on the find and this place, although I was unsuccessful this time, I'll be back.

Also may have turned one of the guards onto home brewing

How about you report the thread to the moderators and ask them to move it to where you think it should go rather than continue to whine about it in this thread? :rockin:

If anyone has anyone gets down there and picks up a few extras, I'd definitely be interested in some of it.

Matt

Mean Green:
Man sorry to hear that. I was there just a few hours earlier and bought a pile. Sounds like someone offered to buy the whole container so they could not sell it anymore. Or sometimes employees see a business opportunity for themselves and flag it for their own use. There have been ornamental things I wanted to buy there and I was told not for sale. I bought 16 corny kegs there a month or 2 ago, and when I did, there was a pile of cold plates there, too. Here is a link to that: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/dallas-tx-scrap-yard-kegs-cold-plates-163759/
PM me if you were looking for anything in particular, I may be able to help.
What a waste to destroy a container of mostly good equipment. Especially when they could sell it for $3.50/lb.
BleuChien: I don't know their hours but they are open Sundays. Here is their number (214) 421-0247. I do plan to attend but not "participate" in Brew Riot at ENO's. I plan to go to NTHBA's brew day in the AM and roll by ENO's for the afternoon. I just don't get their odd $20 fee and bring 5 gallons setup, that sounds more like for picos and micros trying to get some marketing done, not home brewers. I would suggest they have some folks brewing instead. But I'm going off topic here...
I may kick myself later for giving up my source for brewing parts, etc but I'd rather share with others.
Here is my take home, I put together a 6 pressure primary, a single, and a double with lots of extra parts.
IMG_12261.jpg

Ben, no worries I appreciate you sharing. I think where you live, you'll always have the first shot.

I had a good bunch of what you had pictured. If I looked right it appeared they all came from Costco's beverage service?

I think I am missing the NTHBA brew day on the 12 but I think my cohort Badger will be there.

That scrap yard is amazing, the things you could find and modify in there are just amazing. I appreciate the heads up, hope to run into you at some events and swap some brews.

FWIW: My opinion is that the "classifieds" is the best section for a post like this. Bendavanza, Thanks for posting this info. It's nice to see someone taking the time to inform brewers of a good lead...coulda made a nice profit but chose to pay it forward. Stand up guy for sure.

Some were from Costco according to the tags. When I was there and first discovered it on Wednesday, there was someone unloading a truck from Burger King. I was digging through that pile on the ground. One of the workers said, if you are looking for that stuff there is a bin of it over there, and the bin was much less muddy.

:confused:
If you scored something from craigslist and the seller had 100 more to sell, it would be nice if you _did_ post it here so other people could get in on the deal.

Wish I lived closer to the junkyard... I'd hit these up in a flash.

Has anyone else tried to buy these? Were they still denied?
I will be in Dallas on Friday and I am currently in need of 3 secondary regulators myself. Just got my freezer and am in part collection mode to get my Keezer up and running. If any of you guys that have bought extras of them would be willing to sell me 3 please let me know :)

Also Benda if you are interested in selling any of your 16 kegs let me know, I need 3!

Thanks!

Edit: Next Friday, not today :)

Ciliorozo:
By next friday they may all be crushed, such is the way of the recycle business. I don't think anyone else got regulators from this post, which is quite unfortunate. The kegs, I don't think I'll be selling any of them or the regulators, I am stocking away for some future expansion. If I had more disposable cash and time I would have tried to buy the whole container as a business venture and to save them from the crusher.
There are reasonably priced used regulators here http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=92&sort=20a&page=2

The guys just trying to be helpful to his local HBT'ers, so...D.B.A.D!

The guys just trying to be helpful to his local HBT'ers, so...D.B.A.D!

Not trying to hate on anyone, and I have refrained from commenting on most of the items posted. My point still stands on this item, nothing is for sale and the O.P is not trying to buy anything. In my opinion this should have been posted in the general area. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Back