Czech Pilsner - Prostejov Czech Pilsen Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
Brewing up a pilsner soon, and would prefer to go single infusion rather than a decoction mash. I came across the Prostejov Czech Pilsen malt, and was considering ordering some for my pilsner. Anyone have any experience with this malt? Is it highly modified or does it require additional mashing steps outside of a simple infusion mash? Or would i be better served with using Best Malz or similar malt?

I went through a bag of Weyermann floor-malted Pilsner, and am now using Sugar Creek Pilsner. Both are modified enough for single-temperature infusions. Both were pretty good (though as I’ve said before, I can’t really tell the difference between different Pilsner malts.)

Prostejov doesn’t seem to have much of an internet presence, and I couldn’t find a spec sheet. It’s totally reasonable to ask whoever is selling you malt for a spec sheet, and without one I wouldn’t buy a malt. If you do find a spec sheet people on this forum can help you decode it if necessary.

Brewing up a pilsner soon, and would prefer to go single infusion rather than a decoction mash. I came across the Prostejov Czech Pilsen malt, and was considering ordering some for my pilsner. Anyone have any experience with this malt? Is it highly modified or does it require additional mashing steps outside of a simple infusion mash? Or would i be better served with using Best Malz or similar malt?
I've used the Prostejov in my pils and dark lager recipes and have been happy with the results. I don't have a spec sheet, but I get 81-82% mash efficiency with single infusion at 150F, so I'm assuming it's highly modified.

Latest posts

Back