czech lager yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffe

Reaction score
Its been years since ive done many czech lagers, for reasons that are beyond me. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the multitude of strains available, trying all the strains through 4 or 5 generations would take a long while.

Im looking for a yeast that does well in both light, pils, and dark lagers. And cleans up diacetyl well, my brewing partner is overly sensitive to it.

2124 is a great yeast, but i was looking for one with a more czech 'ester' profile. Its called bohemian, but its the 34/70 german strain. I usually use white labs 833 for pretty much everything lagery, but I was looking for an alternative.

I was looking at that strain. It looks promising, I was concerned about the high attenuation, does it come out too dry?

I would, personally, still opt for 2124. Awesome, versatile yeast strain.

I have a Czech pils fermenting now with 833. 800/802 are certainly more authentic, but if there are two lager strains out there that are darn good for absolutely everything, they're 833 and 2124. Not saying that you shouldn't use 800/802, just that I find it easier to keep a single strain cultured and use it for everything.

Back