Cyser with WLP300?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
We make cider with Hefe yeast every couple of months and just pour 5 gallons of apple juice on the old yeast cake.

If I made a cyser with 8-10lbs of honey and 4 gallons of apple juice could I pitch it on a hefe yeast cake and get a good tasting mead? Would the yeast tarnish the honey/apple flavors or make it too sweet? It takes our cider to around .996ish gravity. I don't mind medium sweet or even sweet I think but I don't want a dessert mead. I can easily pitch D47 or comparable yeast but this idea just came to me and was curious what experienced meadmakers think.

We are still new to meadmaking having only made a strawberry melomel and a traditional mead.

Thanks.

i just wanted to bump this up . I'm no expert but i don't think the hef yeast is going to take it that dry maybe in the >.010 range. if u want it that dry just go with the d47

Back