Cyser question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pbh187

Reaction score
Hello HBT.

So I brewed this up about a month ago

4 gallons Apple Juice (Kedem brand)
1 gallon minus a glass of Apple Cider (Trader Joe's)
3 pounds Mesquite honey (Trader Joe's)
1.5 pounds Clover honey (Wal-Mart)
3 teaspoon pectic enzyme
2 teaspoon yeast nutrient
Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast

OG 1.072

It has been at 0.996 for two weeks now and is delicious with hints of rocket fuel:drunk:.

My question though...Is this considered a cyser or a cider with honey? In the end I am really looking for a definition of cyser like how much honey per gallon to be considered one?

Thanks in advance.:mug:

I've seen three pounds per gallon listed for cysers on this forum

That's what I was thinking but I haven't been able to find these recipes you speak of.

Anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

:confused:

Looks like cyser to me.
You are at nearly 1#/gallon which is a significant percentage of the sugars coming from honey. This should make a nice light dry mead. I have used 2#/gal several times and the result is a dry mead at about wine strength. At 3#/gal you will either have high ABV rocket fuel or a very sweet mead, depending on the yeast chosen. The results are very different but still cysers.

Craig

Definition time! To be a cyser, aka to be a mead, at the majority of the fermentables must come from honey. So if >50% are from honey, you've got a cyser. I'd say you are probably right on the cusp, since I don't know what your juice's SG was its hard to say, but you might be just short of 50% since most juice is around 1.045ish

My AJ usually comes out in the 1.04X area. I guess this is just under to technically be a cyser.

After I rack this one I'm gonna try 1.5-2# of honey a gallon on the yeast cake.

Now I just need to think of a name for it that says almost a cyser but not really. Maybe hard cyder?

Love that, hard cyder was just thinking something that combines the two names but has more emphasis on cider since the brew has more emphasis on it haha that's perfect.

Back