Cyser and Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daemon

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a Blueberry Peach Cyser or maybe a Black Cherry Peach Cyser. The First fementing is 3 lbs honey and 1 package of yeast, 1 gal apple juice, and 1 oz of golden raisins.

For the honey I'm going to use a Raw Unfiltered Unpasteurized Honey. Probably going with a local honey, but may go with a desert honey from Arizona.

The secondary takes 2 lbs of Blueberrys (may switch to Black Cherries) and 1 pt of Peaches. This confuses me since 1 pt is just shy of 16 oz and that is 1 lb.

How big of a vessel do I need for the secondary? I am guessing I can do the first in a 1 gallon carboy/demijohn and possibly split the secondary into 2 1 g and top off with more juice as necessary.

My second question. Which yeast do you guys prefer for a SWEET cider?

Used an local raw unfiltered orange blossom honey (Florida) and topped the juice up and pitched the yeast. Had an issue getting the honey to dissolve but eventually got it and it's doing pretty good now. Haven't decided what I'm doing secondary still between blueberries and black cherries.

IMG_20160413_172606.jpg

IMG_20160413_173408.jpg

Used an local raw unfiltered orange blossom honey (Florida) and topped the juice up and pitched the yeast. Had an issue getting the honey to dissolve but eventually got it and it's doing pretty good now. Haven't decided what I'm doing secondary still between blueberries and black cherries.

When and how will you add blueberries and blackberries?

When and how will you add blueberries and blackberries?

2nd fermentation. Thawed from frozen and mashed. Will spilt it between 2 1 gallon or a 1 gallon and a 3/4 gallon topping off with more juice as needed. I did not think the fruit would fill a 3 gallon without risk of infection.

the recipe

Using Cote des Blancs for my yeast since the shop had it in stock, but didn't have the others in stock.

2nd fermentation. Thawed from frozen and mashed. Will spilt it between 2 1 gallon or a 1 gallon and a 3/4 gallon topping off with more juice as needed. I did not think the fruit would fill a 3 gallon without risk of infection.

the recipe

Using Cote des Blancs for my yeast since the shop had it in stock, but didn't have the others in stock.

Thanks! Sounds good.

Amazingly after over a week in primary lots of yeast activity but no yeast cake. Then ask the raisins turned into grapes and floated to the top. Which is not so mind boggling.

Since I couldn't decide which to do anyway I'm splitting the batch in half for the secondary and doing.... both. Makes sense I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Back