Cyser Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey_Mike

Reaction score
I have a small 1 gallon cyser fermenting right now.
The simple recipe is:
1 gallon organic apple juice, no preservatives
3lbs local honey
5oz dextrose
half a packet of Lalvin d-47

That sounds tasty, right? I never had a cyser before, so I figured i'd give it a whirl.

I whipped this up on 2/1 and I kept checking on it and saw no action coming from my blowoff tube. I kind of expected that, because apparently these 2gal primary buckets don't have a completely air tight lid, and the last 2 times I used it I also saw no action.
Well tonight I was going to transfer my cyser into a secondary and while i'm getting everything in order I noticed my blowoff tube going nuts (finally). I'm seeing about a bubble every second.

Any ideas why it was so delayed? Normally I use airlocks, but since this is pretty sugar heavy I went with the blowoff tube for safe measure.
When would you guys think primary would be done and I could move into the secondary?

I'm quite a n00b, so please bare with me.

I am with FB on this.

Using all apple juice helps in the nutrient department but honey is more acidic than sugar and that can cause stresses where additional micro nutrients and nitrates are needed to keep the yeast happy.

Give it another week or two. Do you have a hydrometer? If so then you can rack as early as when the gravity dips to about 1.010.

My OG was 1.14

I didn't take a reading when I made this post because I thought just leaving it alone to do it's thing was a better idea.

Going with FB, at that gravity, you are entering the danger zone of stressed/ stalled batches. Get some nutrients in there and aerate once (twice better) daily for the first few days.

D-47 likely isn't strong enough to get you much farther below 1.060, which is sickly sweet. Down the road you may need to pitch some champagne yeast to finish it off.

Back