Cyanide concerns from apple seeds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antiteam

Reaction score
Been doing a search to no avail. Thought I'd ask here.

Just got a Breville centrifugal juicer for my b-day. I want to juice a couple of bushels of apples that I got and ferment into a nice dry cider. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the apple seeds and cyanide at all. I know that a centrifugal juicer doesn't really do as much damage to the seeds as other types of juicers will. I also know I can just seed/core before juicing if I'm that worried. I'd rather not have to, but am willing to do so if it's a credible concern.

I've read juicing threads that warn about seeds, and others that say that they're no problem. I've also read distilling threads about how including them might and might not be a problem. Haven't found many hard cider threads one way or the other.

Anyone have any input? Thanks!

The amount of cyanide contained in a seed is negligible. We're talking trace amounts. There was a big media scare years back about trace amounts from seeds allegedly being detected in commercial apple juice, but it turned out to be much ado about nothing. You have nothing to worry about.

The amount of cyanide contained in a seed is negligible. We're talking trace amounts. There was a big media scare years back about trace amounts from seeds allegedly being detected in commercial apple juice, but it turned out to be much ado about nothing. You have nothing to worry about.

True, they won't hurt you but there could be a flavor impact. I'd core any apples before juicing for that reason. Grapes, too, or any seeded fruit that has a seed that doesn't taste great would be something that I'd avoid crushing in the juice.

Great point about the flavor of the seeds. It reminds me of a wheat that my wife mad e with a LOT of raspberries. The seed flavor definitely made it through on that one.

One more question - if I juice the apples and put the result in a fermenter, should I expect enough wild yeast to make it through to start a fermentation or should I plan to pitch my own yeast?

Back