Cutting top of Keggle comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I read everything on here about cutting the top off. I even saw some really jagged photos so when I went to cut mine, I figured it must be pretty difficult.

It couldn't have been easier.

Step 1. Install 1/8 in cut off wheel on 4 1/2 in grinder. Lowes has them for $29
Step 2. Safety glasses and ear plugs.
Step 3. Turn on Grinder
Step 4. Hook knuckle of the hand on the inside of the cut in the center hole.
Step 5. Walk slowly around the Keg keeping knuckle hooked in the hole using only mild pressure on grinder.
Step 6. Once your all the way around, back up to where you started and repeat step 5. This keeps the cord from wrapping you up in a knot.
Step 7. After the center falls out, smooth the edges.
Done

I had an almost round hole of unknown diameter!!!

I didn't bother removing the spear, drawing a circle or drilling any holes.

Took all of 4 minutes and I was done.

Linc

Yeah but...where's the fun in that?

Keggle_3.JPG

our local club member who is a smithy and a tool fanatic devised a die grinder compass that fits in the spear hole and has the die grinder on an arm that is adjustable. it cuts perfect holes everytime.

brewhead said:
our local club member who is a smithy and a tool fanatic devised a die grinder compass that fits in the spear hole and has the die grinder on an arm that is adjustable. it cuts perfect holes everytime.
Bobby did something similar, although cutting one by hand didn't seem very hard for me, either.

[YOUTUBE]LthGdMk_avk[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, I successfully cut one by hand but I wanted 3-keg repeatability. I also used a 1/16" wheel instead of 1/8". It cuts faster and cleaner. I'd still recommend drawing a circle on the keg and if you're going freehand, cut just inside the line so you can grind out to a perfect circle later. It's nice to have a perfect hole if you care about fitting a lid.

Note: I know about the math error in my video. Preemptive strike!

Latest posts

Back