cutting the weak vines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I read online that I should cut all of the other vines off of one rhizome except the strongest. Is this true? I have two fuggles coming up right now and three centennial all coming from one rhizome per type.
Thanks, Nick

How old are your plants?

There are conflicting views about this but this past year, I started with two shoots per plant and cut the rest back. Then about half way through the season I let them all go. If I would have let them all go from the beginning I would have gotten about 20% more cones. I had a great yield with letting two shoots go per plant.

Cut, don't cut...no matter really.

I used to cut back all but 4 to 5 of the strongest shoots from each plant. I've gotten lazy and the rhizomes are now too big to keep up with...I get shoots poping up in the lawn 10 feet away!!!

My hops grow on an arbor and this year was literally a thick "mass" of tangled mess. I harvested 28+ ounces (dried) and left half to rot on the vines.

You should trim back what does not appear healthy and trim back to keep good circulation to limit molds and fungus.

My $0.02.

The first growth of the plant should be totally cut back,say the 1st of may.Then train new growth end of may 3 to 5 bines pr/rope cheers glen

These are some rhizomes from last year. I tried to grow them in the yard with little success. They didn't fair so well during the summer here in southern KY. I thought this area would be ideal but they seemed to just get too hot...maybe...during the fall they started to rebound and looked pretty nice at about 12 inches high. Then they started to suffer the winter brute. So, long story short, I moved them into the house in large 5 gallon pots. I have some bay windows that face the south in the breakfast area and they are sprouting up again and looking great. Any thing else that I should be concerned with?
Thanks, Nick

Get them back outside in the ground and water them regularly...here in MA having to water is not really a problem but in KY I suppose it is dry, dry, dry. Hops in pots likely won't do so well. They might look like crap for a year or two, but trust me...those things are weeds and will take off in a few years (you won't be able to keep up with the shoots poping out everywhere)!

Back