Cutting Hole in Magic Chef Freezer Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sak3358

Reaction score
In the process of making my kegarator. I'll post pictures later (once I figure out how to post them), but I've hit a snag in the process. How do you remove the plastic interior shield on the lid? I've removed the rubber seal, but the plastic shield seems like it is glued in. I don't want to damage it. I need to get inside to mount a wooden base to assist in supporting the tower.

Thanks

In the process of making my kegarator. I'll post pictures later (once I figure out how to post them), but I've hit a snag in the process. How do you remove the plastic interior shield on the lid? I've removed the rubber seal, but the plastic shield seems like it is glued in. I don't want to damage it. I need to get inside to mount a wooden base to assist in supporting the tower.

Thanks

I've not seen where anyone removed the plastic liner and put the support inside it. here's a link to a picture of one way to do it.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index88.html#post1240877

Personally, I'd think long and hard about doing that though. Putting the tower on the lid, while quick and easy, means you have other issues later on. Warranty on the freezer (if it's new) is only one of them. Getting the kegs in and out requires moving the freezer away from a wall to get clearance for the tower when opening the lid. It also requires a lot more moving the beer and CO2 lines around to get to the back kegs. Seems more trouble than it's worth to me. YMMV

Just finished our freezer build last night with a 3 tap tower...We have the Holiday freezer from Lowes and couldn't remove the white cover without damage so we just cut a hole. I used a Dremel tool with a cuttoff wheel to cut an 8" or so square in the lid and then dug out the foam underneath. We glued a piece of plywood into the hole and attached the tower. Used some Gorilla Tape (duct tape on crack) to cover up the hole we cut and prevent loose foam from becoming a problem and it works great. Nice solid surface to attach to! (I'll post a pic later if I remember.)

Seems more trouble than it's worth to me. YMMV

I have a complete tap box on top of my lid and for as often as a keg gets lifted in/out it's not that big of a deal.
Depends on your DIY level as well.
None Required has a very neat solution, but I think it's very specific to his bar build. It would not work in my situation. But it involves a good bit more than just drilling through the lid and mounting a tower and making it look good.

Just finished our freezer build last night with a 3 tap tower...We have the Holiday freezer from Lowes and couldn't remove the white cover without damage so we just cut a hole. I used a Dremel tool with a cuttoff wheel to cut an 8" or so square in the lid and then dug out the foam underneath. We glued a piece of plywood into the hole and attached the tower. Used some Gorilla Tape (duct tape on crack) to cover up the hole we cut and prevent loose foam from becoming a problem and it works great. Nice solid surface to attach to! (I'll post a pic later if I remember.)

Appreciate all the advice, it has given me some options and new ideas for future builds. Brewdragon - please post some pictures. I like the idea of cutting out a square to access the lid, I may go down that path.

How do you attach pictures to these posts so I can show the build?

Thanks again

Back