Cutting dip tube in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenPen

Reaction score
Today was a glorious day....got my first cornys.

Does anyone here cut their dip tubes to reduce sediment? I've read that people do, and it will be much better for SWMBO and the flow of my brewing funds if I can give her clear beer. So who cuts em?

Not me. I clear in the secondary and then rack to the kegs, but you can filter it after the secondary for even clearer product.

I thought about buying a filter kit, I think Midwest has one, but I heard they are a PITA and that adds a $3 filter to my every brew. I'm also going to rack to secondary and cold condition before going into the keg, so maybe I'll be clear enough. I just looked and those tubes go right to the lowest part of the keg where things sediment would tend to settle.

I don't think it is necessary but there are advocates out there. My first pint is cloudy when I force carbonate but then it clears up nice (with a standard non-cut dip tube). If I naturally carbonate in the keg, it takes around four pints - and two weeks longer to have a drinkable brew...

I haven't cut any tubes, although I do have a mesh filter on the cider keg. I leave ales in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks and force carbonate (mostly). After the first pint, no problems.

Most of mine are cut by about 1/2". It loses about 1/2 cup of beer per keg, and makes it easier to reinstall the tube without it touching the bottom of the keg where it would pick up a small amount of sediment with each beer.

-a.

Back