cutting bines off rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I planted several rhizomes indoors at the beginning of the month to try and build the roots. Some of the bines are now around 3 feet tall. I don't plan to plant for another 2 weeks so I'm thinking of cutting off the bines or atleast the really long ones. I want to do this just to tame the jungle in my house. Since I'm mostly concerned with root growth is this a good or bad idea?

I did it with the rhizones I planted a couple of years ago. I would cut all back but one. I would let the one grow to about a foot, then cut it back and let another one grow. It really helped them build a strong root system.

Cool that's what I was hoping for. I just didn't know if there was a downside to doing it

Never cut the first growth on a new rhizome.What sprouts is all you have the first year,the shoots help develop the root system.

Good advice from the hopfarmer as the more foliage you can leave up, the more sunlight the plant can turn into fuel to grow and store what excess it produces down in the crown (building for a better tomorrow). You're in a different situation if I understand correctly as you just want to 'tame' them down a little until you can get them in the ground? If this is the case you could cut the shoots back to just above a set of leaves. That way, the shoot will remain but just in a shorter version. The buds at the leaf junction (which you probably can't see right now) will begin growing again and take over as the new growing tips of the shoot. Better scenario than lopping off the whole shoot. Give it a try.

ok so if some of them are several feet tall already is it ok to whack them down to under a foot?

I would cut them back to a point where you would leave at least two sets of leaves which would be a foot or so depending on what type of light they're getting. What you're doing is channeling the energy that would have been going to the tip to some auxiliary buds further down on the shoot. It will take a week or so so be patient.

I trimmed a few of these back as you recommended. thanks for the advice. I also stuck the cutting in some water to see if it will root. I didn't do anything to help it, like give it rooting hormone, but it'll be cool to see if it takes.

I had a similar question as your original, but my centennial crown from GLH seemed to take care of my question for me. I planted it in a pot and left it in the garage. I had four bines that were over 2 feet. They were light green and thin. When I moved the pot outside after the fear of frost had passed, 3 of the 4 bines shriveled up and died. The plant has since put out 6 or 7 new shoots that are thicker and darker green than the first 4 shoots. I just assume that it was the shock of the change in climate that killed them. I was worried until I saw the new, and hopefully healthier shoots pop up. So who knows, maybe your bines will "trim" themselves like mine did.

I trimmed a few of these back as you recommended. thanks for the advice. I also stuck the cutting in some water to see if it will root. I didn't do anything to help it, like give it rooting hormone, but it'll be cool to see if it takes.

I don't know about the water thing for hops but it works for some other types of plants. I tried an experiment last year to propagate a few vines on my cascade and was delightfully surprised when i dug them up to see if it worked. I took 2 vines and burred one or 2 leaf sections under the dirt around an inch or 2 deep and gave the 10 inches of the tip that was back out of the ground something to climb on. At the end of the season i clipped both ends coming out of the ground off. Both 3 inch sections are close to the thickness of a pencil and one has 3 buds coming off it the other has 4. Looks like i am going to do this again this year with all my hops.

If you want to try growing a plant from a bine section, at least give it something besides water to work with, a little liquid fertilizer or rooting fluid.

C77 - hops travel using your method. If you take an early bine and bury most of it, roots develop and you can cut it free of the parent plant.

On the other hand, hops will take over your entire garden given half a chance. I've had plants come up5-6 feet from the original plant in the second year.

So far I'm lovin hop growin. I have 15 plants in the ground now and 5 more coming from The Hops shack. If they can self propogate like that in the first few years I will have one full garden dedicated entirely to hops and the other three gardens mixed with Momma's pretty flowers and veggies. I'm so glad I made a portable easilly moved trellis system now. It was a bit more than I originally wanted to spend, but now that I have it I am glad I did what I did. I think some more height may be needed after this year, it's not really a problem because I will root new Rhizomes on the 10 footer and move the trellis to a new location and erect a 20+ footer in it's place. Just keep doing that till my acre plot is filled completely. In a couple of years I should have over 100 rhizomes and around 400 bines. I'll be a hop farmin fool y then. Thanks for all the help getting me started on this great hobby. I have learned so much and appreciate all the help I have gotten from the different members.
Bob

If you want to try growing a plant from a bine section, at least give it something besides water to work with, a little liquid fertilizer or rooting fluid.

I've read all the different techniques for starting plants from a bine cutting. I know letting it sit in water isn't ideal but i've seen my parents do this simple technique with tons of other plants and it works beautifully. I'm more interested in if it'll work and if so how fast. I have more plants than i need right now anyhow.

Latest posts

Back