Cutthroat Kitchen is stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this show? It's on Food Network and hosted by Alton Brown. They invite 4 chefs onto the show and give them each $25,000 with which they can bid on "sabotages" that Alton offers them during each cooking challenge. The winning bidder can basically handicap their competitors with the various handicaps. Then for each round, they bring in a judge who tastes the dishes (ignorant of the sabotages) and picks one chef for elimination, until there's just one chef standing.

I saw the show on the TV guide on my PVR and they were doing an episode with food truck chefs making breakfast dishes. I like making tasty breakfasts, and had never seen the show before, so I set it to record.

The first round was breakfast sandwiches. Mmmm... one of my favorites. I was interested to see what kind of spin the food truck chefs put on them. Then Alton starts up with the "sabotages." One chef had to do all his prepwork lying on the floor on his back, on one of those mechanic's creeper thingys. Another had to use a stupid R/C truck to get all of her ingredients from the pantry. Another had to cook all his ingredients on a piece of metal shaped like the '@' character instead of a frying pan.

It was stupid. I just wanted to see some innovative takes on delicious breakfast foods, but all this gimmicky "sabotaging" nonsense totally crippled these chefs from really being able to stretch their legs and flex their culinary muscles.

So my question is: Who watches this sh*t?

First thing I will say, your criticisms are not unfounded. But I would say that you went to the theater expecting a thriller/drama but got a comedy. Just because the comedy wasn't a thriller/drama that you expected doesn't make it a bad comedy(unless the movie is specifically billed as a thriller/drama, your DVR failed to explain the base 'plot' of cutthroat and assumed you had a basic understanding of the show).

Cutthroat Kitchen is definitely not a cooking show to watch if you want to see innovative ideas about cooking... Pretty much any of the competition cooking shows are really not great shows for that at all. I would just go watch old Good Eats episodes, or Joy of Cooking, or old Mario Batali episodes for cool food related television programming. Pretty much all the competition cooking shows have the exact same formula with some very minor differences (Chopped/Guy's Grocery Games/Cutthroat Kitchen).

It is so much faux-drama induced by the show producers and if you watch the show a ton you notice the sabotages are rarely the down fall of one of the competitors and more often its some elementary mistake by the chef. Like a chef putting chorizo in a bowl of chicken noodle, I would punch the chef in the face if they put chorizo in my chicken noodle soup.

I guess I'm disappointed that such gimmicky shows seem to be taking over the Food Network. I would much rather see some shows where Gordon Ramsey walks you through how he prepares a delicious, authentic Shepherd's Pie, or Giada de Laurentiis shows how to make Alfredo sauce from scratch. Although, to be honest, I'd watch 60 minutes of her just doing her taxes.

And I want a car rebuild show where there isn't any scripted drama and they cover the process of body and mechanical work step by step.

But I guess that doesn't sell, because nobody puts out a show like that.

That's the reason I enjoyed Good Eats. More cooking and explaining (While entertaining, usually). The game show cooking shows are for entertainment only IMO, and they aren't really great at that either.

Haha I love that show! I may have watched a good 3 or 4 episodes last night. Yes its a stupid show, but if you want to watch Gordon Ramsay preparing a Shepards pie there are shows for that. Hell, he has his own youtube channel! If you want to watch Giada do her taxes you can do that too! Although, it would be considered stalking and illegal. These cooking shows, like cutthroat are all for good, fun tv. Theyre not meant to be an educational show. Theyre meant to be fun to watch. Most of the shows on Food Network are for fun. Ive never learned to cook anything from Beat Bobby Flay, or Chopped, or Diners, Drive ins, and Dives.

That being said, I hate how scripted these cooking shows have become. But I still enjoy it.

I tried watching it. I agree very gimmicky. Lost interest quickly. I do like Chopped though.

Gimmicky shows seem to be taking over??

It's been that way on that network for ~10+ years...

Fair enough - I guess I haven't been watching that network for a while. Recently, my wife and I have started getting into "You Gotta Eat Here," which is what prompted me to think, "Hmm, what else is on Food Network these days?"

I do enjoy good reality cooking shows, such as Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef. I just really didn't like the stupid "sabotages" that are apparently the trademark of "Cutthroat Kitchen." Without the sabotages, I guess it's just basically "Chopped," right?

That's the reason I enjoyed Good Eats. More cooking and explaining (While entertaining, usually).
My wife and I are on about season 7 of re-watching the whole run of Good Eats. Still some damn fine television.

Fair enough - I guess I haven't been watching that network for a while. Recently, my wife and I have started getting into "You Gotta Eat Here," which is what prompted me to think, "Hmm, what else is on Food Network these days?"

I do enjoy good reality cooking shows, such as Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef. I just really didn't like the stupid "sabotages" that are apparently the trademark of "Cutthroat Kitchen." Without the sabotages, I guess it's just basically "Chopped," right?

I think without the sabotages its just a show where they cook food with a short period of time to shop haha. I freaking love chopped. Ted Allen is the man! My wife and I sometimes "play" chopped and will randomly pick out 4 ingredients and cook a meal with them. PSA, this is a good way to use up leftovers or other food that is just sitting there :D

I like Good Eats too. just caught a couple on Netflix

except on his Brewing episode, he instructed to boil the steeping grains

still, love the explanations on why stuff works the way it does, even if they are excessively cheesy

I like Good Eats too. just caught a couple on Netflix

except on his Brewing episode, he instructed to boil the steeping grains

still, love the explanations on why stuff works the way it does, even if they are excessively cheesy

That's the original episode that got me into brewing! The adding of the ICE..Classic! I watched it with a buddy. Next day we had wort fermenting for the first time. Never looked back!

Cheers
Jay

You need to watch it during the morning and daytime especially on the weekends. That's when all the different "chef makes some food" shows are on. The weekend also has "The Kitchen" which is kind of like "The View" except for cooking and 40/60 male.female cast split.

I guess I'm disappointed that such gimmicky shows seem to be taking over the Food Network. I would much rather see some shows where Gordon Ramsey walks you through how he prepares a delicious, authentic Shepherd's Pie, or Giada de Laurentiis shows how to make Alfredo sauce from scratch. Although, to be honest, I'd watch 60 minutes of her just doing her taxes.

If you want cooking shows, watch the Cooking Channel. Or PBS for that matter. There are far more and better actual cooking shows on PBS than there are on the Food Network.

It is a ridiculous show. More like who made the least crappy dish is the winner. On the other hand there have been some challenges where the chefs need to be rather innovative when they loose ingredients and have to use something else. It is not on my radar much, but if nothing else is on late night and I can't sleep... Guess you can tell I've watched a few too many episodes.

The Food Network largely sucks. I used to watch it all the time, in the Good Eats era.

But I really don't care about the Next Food Network Star BBQ Cupcake Champion. :(

At least Cutthroat Kitchen was a relatively original concept.

I like Hell's Kitchen, though the promo editing is so horrible, and the show is so obviously staged....

"Coming up, on Hell's Kitchen.......Bob does something so horrible, you've never seen anything like it!!!!"

Then, Bob proceeds to undercook the risotto by ~30 seconds, and you're left waiting to see what was so horrible...

And, the team competitions are obviously rigged and/or highly edited; as it always comes down to the final two, the final bite, etc...

Yet, I still watch. :eek:

I really like Master Chef; and thought they've done well since Joe left. I also like the Aussie and Canada versions that pop up on other channels...

Beginning rant...

My wife loves those Food Network shows. I've developed a tolerance of them.

I almost like the theory behind CTK, but the handicaps they come up with are gimmicky. I was hoping they'd stick to the kind of stuff that a normal person encounters when they go to make something, like "Hey, one of you just realized you don't have any of ingredient x, but you do have y and z", or taking away *one* fancy device. I have never heard of anyone with functioning limbs who had to use only one utensil to make something.

When I need background noise in the apartment from the TV I try to leave it on PBS-Create and that is usually cooking and home repair stuff. ATK is ok, but they have a paywall to view anything on their website and my mother-in-law gave them her email and they spam constantly. The Olive Oil lady, I call her that because I think her definition of a "little" olive oil is a cup and a half, is ok background noise. I almost liked that Project Smoke dude but my wife and I grew up on conventional farms so I cringe whenever he says something like "I chose organic, grass fed beef. Remember: how you're meat was raised matters just as much as how you smoke it". I can find darn good conventionally raised beef for a lot cheaper, thank you very much.

I can understand not enjoying Cutthroat Kitchen, it is gimmicky and over the top, but entertaining in my opinion.

However, I'm curious what cooking tips you've gotten from Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef.... I watched a season of Hell's Kitchen, I thought that was 100% entertainment, but completely different, as it was mostly stressful and seeing how many times Ramsay had to have his mouth bleeped and blurred. We also enjoyed Masterchef for a season or two, but that's also about as game-showy as it gets.

10 Best Cooking Shows On Netflix Streaming

Cutthroat Kitchen

It’s all of Alton Brown’s grating flair for stage craft with none of his helpful information. Chefs compete to waste food in idiotic challenges like having to cook with floaties on their arms or prepare mirepoix using only a spork. Probably the worst show Food Network has ever produced and that’s saying something. If you like this show I hate you.

However, I'm curious what cooking tips you've gotten from Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef.

Hell's Kitchen, that's a fair point, there's very little cooking information on that one. However, it's framed as a dramatic competition show, not a cooking show, and it's on FOX, not Food Network. I enjoy it for the drama. Cutthroat Kitchen, on the other hand, does a poor job building tension, it just feels cartoony and lame.

Masterchef, of the other hand, has indeed inspired me and gotten my creative juices flowing in the kitchen. It's fun seeing what kind of dishes they concoct given the ingredients in a "Mystery Box," or seeing all the chefs' different takes on a truffle cake. Things like that give me ideas for meals to try on my own.

Rant incoming...

I can't stand the show either. It's not so much AB's *****ey character, or even the concept of the show. I think it's kind of cool to challenge cooks and chefs to improvise, a home cook could learn a lot by seeing pros react to those situations.

To me, where the show falls apart is in the judging segment, where these terminally uncharismatic judges just take a steaming, runny **** on someone's blatantly sabotaged dish. As though this one chef is so dumb that he didn't realize that lemon chicken was made with chicken. Or a judge saying "this all looks like it was hacked apart by a clawhammer". Yeah, all the dude had to work with was a facking clawhammer ya idiot! That was clearly the sabotage! The fake obliviousness of the judges is the worst part of the show for me. It's irritating how they go out of their way to totally ignore the premise that some chefs have been kneecapped and act as though they're just idiots that tried to make creme brulee with salt instead of sugar.

The painfully forced after-school-special level "trash talk" between the chefs is pretty cringe-worthy, too. "You better bring it, sister." "Oh yeah? Well you'll see." Actual quote. Also, the obsessing over the money trope is pretty tired and worn out. Yeah, you're the first person to fan themselves with a stack of $10,000 worth of monopoly money. Hey, why don't you smell it or kiss it while you're at it...oh wait, the guy before you did that :smack:

At least I get to cleanse my palate with an 8 hour marathon of "Triple D" every night :rolleyes:

Yeah, the food network has gone downhill.

My kids (age 8 and 10) and I watch the show every week via DVR. It is a fun, family friendly show that walks the line between gameshow and creative cooking show. It has kept our interest for over a year now and we look forward to it.

My 10 year old has a keen interest in cooking so we supplement his knowledge by watching the old Good Eats episodes that our DVR catches.

Cutthroat Kit. is definitely not a fair game, nor even educational. But it is fun to watch those puffed-up chefs get taken down a bit with those sabotages.

Cutthroat Kit. is definitely not a fair game, nor even educational. But it is fun to watch those puffed-up chefs get taken down a bit with those sabotages.

This! I watched one last night where a chef nicknamed "The Assassin" got taken down by a food blogger. It was awesome!!

I love Alton Brown, but just can't get into CTK. It is lame compared to Good Eats and Iron Chef America.

But I would watch CTK before anything with Guy Fieri in it. Talk about over exposure. He's the main reason why I don't even watch "Fieri Network" anymore.

I love Alton Brown, but just can't get into CTK. It is lame compared to Good Eats and Iron Chef America.

But I would watch CTK before anything with Guy Fieri in it. Talk about over exposure. He's the main reason why I don't even watch "Fieri Network" anymore.

Dont even get me started on that clown. I dont think Ive actually ever seen him cook anything. All he ever does is eats and talks too much

Dont even get me started on that clown. I dont think Ive actually ever seen him cook anything. All he ever does is eats and talks too much

:D

Apparently he's a Food Network Star, but that predates the days since I watched Food Network, so I have no idea what he actually cooks.

Actually I have friends that went to one of his restaurants and said the food was sub-par :p

:D

Apparently he's a Food Network Star, but that predates the days since I watched Food Network, so I have no idea what he actually cooks.

Actually I have friends that went to one of his restaurants and said the food was sub-par :p

Haha that sounds about right. Also, ditch the goofy blonde, spiked, fat NSYNC look. The 90's ended 16 years ago, now you just look like a tool :off::confused:

I binge watch it now and then on Netflix. I like to see what kind of sabotages Alton comes up with, and how the chefs adapt to it.

The other one I like that's on Netflix is "Worst Folks In America". They find the absolute worst cooks and teach them. Yes it is a game, cooks get eliminated, but most of the recipes and concepts are easy to understand. I'm sure some are terrible cooks, I'm sure some are sandbagging it.

The other one I like that's on Netflix is "Worst Folks In America".

My kids and I enjoy that one too! The best episodes are the early ones where the truly incompetent cooks do awful things to food. Although the worst get booted pretty early in the season, it is still fun to watch non-pros pick up a few skills and compete.

Fair enough - I guess I haven't been watching that network for a while.

But I guess that doesn't sell, because nobody puts out a show like that.

So this is all kombat's fault?

I can't stand CTK. I would say I don't like these type of shows, but that wouldn't be strictly true. The wife and I have watched quite a few episodes of Chopped, Master Chef, and MC Jr.

I happen to be a big fan of Alton Brown. That is a man who has transformed his life into a career. From his fatty days on Good eats, to a divorce man, into the iconic commentator on Iron chef and now CK, it's been quite the transformation to behold. I wouldn't watch the show if it wasn't hosted by Alton Brown.

@AZ_IPA Seriously fixed/Rigged! When I first watched it, I asked myself over and over... "WTF do they tell these guys?? 'Take the first blow to the chin and hit the canvas!'" so bad...

When is Iron Chef returning?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Wait, are we talking Alton or Giada de Laurentiis
giada-de-laurentiis-cooking.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I'll also add that Alton's live show (Eat Your Science is the current tour) is pretty entertaining. My wife and I saw him in Toronto just over a year ago (I think), and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Back