Cut them down to the crown today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
Went out to check on my plants today and man were they going to town! One cascade had shoots over 8" tall already and the others had shoots up to 4" long so I cut all plants down to the crown.
It's been raining like cats and dogs the past couple days so they should throw new ones in the days to come once the sun comes out. I think I'm going to top dress with compost, blood and bone meal next week and hopefully be training some bines around the 15th-20th of April.

I'm not sure what you are supposed to do. I had a number of shoots on my Cascades up to 12 inches. I went today and cut back everything that was over 2 inches, and anything that was outside of about a 14 inch circle, and left the rest for now.

How many shoots do we want to allow to grow? My plants are starting their third year.

I'm not sure what you are supposed to do. I had a number of shoots on my Cascades up to 12 inches. I went today and cut back everything that was over 2 inches, and anything that was outside of about a 14 inch circle, and left the rest for now.

How many shoots do we want to allow to grow? My plants are starting their third year.

I'm not 100% on that. My plan this year is to take 4-5 shoots per plant and train them up and keep the rest cut back. I'm on year 2 so......?

Cut my Cascades back today. Plan is to start training in the 2nd week of May.

I culled all mine this week, hunted rhizomes, and treated my soil. I had 50+ shoots that were a foot or more on the 4 plants.

I culled all mine this week, hunted rhizomes, and treated my soil. I had 50+ shoots that were a foot or more on the 4 plants.

I was wanting to do that myself this week but it looks like it will be another week or so. All of my new growth is still too short to train. I did top dress the beds so with the rain that's in the forecast I would say they should get going soon.

Maybe I shouldn't have cut my Cascades back as much. Haven't seen any action. Strange, but I guess the weather decided to get colder. And I guess tilling too deep & too late may have stunted growth. Hopefully in the next week or two I see something.

At least the new plants are looking pretty good.

Apparently cutting the Cascade back wasn't the right move. I dug it completely out this morning. It had no signs of anything that would grow. Cutting back may have only been a smaller issue, the crown may have been starting to rot.

Apparently cutting the Cascade back wasn't the right move. I dug it completely out this morning. It had no signs of anything that would grow. Cutting back may have only been a smaller issue, the crown may have been starting to rot.

Was this a first year plant?

Back