Cut or exstend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort*hog

Reaction score
Been kegging for a while. I noticed something. Sometimes the keg will blow the sediment at the first glass and some times when the keg blows on the last of the beer. I'm sure it has to do with how close to the bottom the out tube is. I have enough on hand that I dont need to force carbonate and my beer serves up clear. It's not a problem. But I plan to take my set up on a trip in April to a gathering in Denver. I was thinking of putting an extended piece of clear tubeing with a jagged end on the end of the out tube and draw off the sediment before loading the kegs in the truck so as not to roust the sediment. It might be a good idea to do this also before force carbonating? any suggestions?

It might be a good time to invest in a filtering system. From looking into blown kegs, I can say that most of the sediment will still be in the bottom, ready to be shaken into the ale.

I think his point is, without getting into filtering, would it be benefitial to draw off that first glass prior to transporting the kegs. I'd say yes, but do it after carbing. As the keg sits for a few days carbing, whatever will settle will do so. Just before you disconnect to transport, pull a pint. At that point, whatever was settled should come out. Of course, if you used a secondary and racked carefully, you really won't have much sediment in the first place.

That was exactly my point. I am far enough ahead to leave it in secondary for 4 to 5 weeks ( 4 kegs in the kegerator, 4 kegs conditioning, 4 batches in secondary and 4 in primary). I want something good to show off to my buddies in Denver so they might jump in and get wet as to homebrewing!:mug:

I think by putting a clear plastic hose extention on the out tube I would be garanteed to clean out on the first pint.

I must say, given my username, my advice would be:

Cut when about 8 days old...

Extend when appropriate for the delight (and awe) of the ladies...

Back