Cut dip tube in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Has anyone ever consider removing the dip tube from their keg and cutting about a half an inch off the bottom? I am thinking about doing this to avoid sucking up yeast every time the keg is moved a little. It also would help when filling that last glass not to have it get filled with yeast. I know that you would leave about a pint in the bottom, but too many times I have been filling a growler towards the end of the keg and I hit bottom and a bunch of yeast goes squirting into the growler ruining the whole lot. If the dip tube were a little off the bottom then I think it might avoid pulling yeast after the keg is bumped a little and also avoid ruining that last pint.

What do you think about doing that for serving? This assumes that when you transfer to the keg you are going to have yeast settle to the bottom. I know you can avoid that by cold crashing first and transferring very carefully. But if there is a yeast cake in your keg, wouldn't it be a good idea to use a dip tube that is slightly off the bottom?

Sure, you could cut it if you wanted. Many people do, and for the same reasons you described. Use a pipe cutter to get a clean cut.

Don't hack saw it. Right tool for the right job. ;)

I do the cold-crash thing so this is never a problem, but there's no reason one can't shorten the Out dip tube a scosche to allow a slightly shorter path from fermenter to faucet.

You could use a fresh hacksaw blade or a tubing cutter, but either way I'd recommend treating the end of the tube to some acid before dropping it back in its keg, to cook out the iron. Rub a paste of BKF on the cut, that'd work...

Cheers!

Back