Custom System vs PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitteritdown

Reaction score
What are some of the benefits of a custom system - Arduino/Adafruit controlling SSR/heater element, SSR/pump, and temp probe, vs. just buying a PID. Could make my own interface w/ Arduino maybe a custom hysteresis algorithm. Anyone built a custom controller from scratch? What benefits have you realized?

Let me list some functions that I think it might not be available on PID
  • WiFi enabled
    • view/edit settings on computers/phones
    • monitor or control it over the air
    • temperature logging, and charting
  • Flexible Automation
    • Even including Hop Stands
  • Up to 5 temperature sensors support
    • I can chose one for string water heating, another for mashing, and yet different one during boiling.
  • Additional heater control
    • Time sharing sparge water heating; It is turned on only when the main heating is OFF.
    • Dual heating elements. The heating elementS can be configured to use like, both on for striking heating, only one for mashing, both on for boiling, and etc.
  • Using stirrer instead of PUMP; configurable rest cycle
    • (I am going to support pump and stirrer at the same time)
  • distilling

IMO, it's an unfair game. The custom controller can do everything that you can program it to do. It costs you, however, a lot of time if you program it by yourself.

Thanks pocketmon. WiFi is probably the route I'll go. It's just a matter of deciding whether to go Android or Windows for the client, haven't coded for iOS but I'm sure it's not difficult to catch on.

There are a host of benefits to a processor based control system. When properly designed and built, they are very reliable, although adding more complexity than discrete controls.

In the rare event that there is a processor hardware failure, you are totally down.
With discrete controls, like individual PIDs, a single point of failure rarely brings the whole system down.

Back