Custom stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combatdiver

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew up this stout for my father and have a few questions.
This will be my first all grain.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.095 SG
Estimated Color: 60.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 74.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min

Im curious what yeast to use? any suggestions?

I used beer smith and everything looks good. This isnt my first stout/double black and I would like to know if i out a few shots of espresso in, when should I do it?

Additionally, should I change anything?

Thanks

As far as yeasts go, I'm a big fan of a clean American yeast in a stout (US-05 for dry, WY1056 or WLP001 for liquid), but a yeast strain from the British Isles is not uncommon and would work well too. So it kind of depends on what you are going for.

As far as the recipe, something is off here. For a 5.2 gallon batch, this comes out to be 1.065 or so at 72% efficiency, not 1.095, and you won't get even close to 74 IBUs. Perhaps double check what you put in, or batch size, because something is wrong.

As a suggestion, drop the table sugar, and go with more base malt. The sugar will just dry it out, giving it a cider-y taste, and not add much to the beer. If you really want some sugar, go for something that will contribute more, like demerara sugar, but keep it under a pound, maybe half a pound (I would say leave it out entirely though). Compensate for dropping the sugar by bumping up the base malt. Then you probably won't need 2lbs of 120 for body. I would use a 1lb, maybe up to 1.5lbs, that's a pretty strong crystal malt. And lastly, that black patent will go a long way, and give it a burnt, almost ashy flavor. I like a decent amount of black patent, but not everyone does. Roasted barley may be more fitting.

I have to agree. I'd halve the black patent and add 4-8 oz of roasted. Table sugar is rarely added to stouts but lactose ( milk sugar) is common if you want a creamy sweet stout. I wouldn't add more than a pound though.

I'm not a fan of the recipe, to be honest. Too little base malt (only 5 pounds?), too much crystal, too much simple sugar, and a whole pound of black patent.

I'd take out the simple sugar, increase the basemalt, drop the rye, decrease the black patent, and possibly decrease the chocolate malt. I also think something is missing- there is no way that recipe would give 1.095ish so maybe some basemalt is missing?

Anyway, I'd rework the grainbill and then select a yeast based on the characteristics I'd like to impart. I have two favorite yeast strains right now for American stout- one is Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) which gives a richer mouthfeel and it accentuates the malt. The other I like is Wyeast 1335, an English strain that also accentuates the malt but with a clean finish (not typically "Englishy").

Back