Custom kegorator-frosting over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodawg

Reaction score
For the past two years I've been using a commercial kegorator from Home Depot. It works great but can only hold two cornies. I wanted one that would hold four since I have a beautiful antique 4 tap brass beer tower on my bar. Not being able to find such an animal, I built my own out of an old 10 cu.ft. refrigerator. This is the old style fridge where the only refrigeration unit is the compressor ran straight to the old style rectangular freezer box. After building it, it works great but after only two weeks the freezer unit ices over, and after three weeks is nothing but a solid cake of ice and the compressor is running full time with temps slowly creeping upward. Not good.

Even though I live in Florida, the entire bar and fridge unit are kept indoors, so ambient temps and humidity shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Is there a solution to dehumidifying the air inside of the kegorator to keep the freezer coils from icing over? Will a Love or Johnson controller solve my problem? I'm not that big of a refrigeration guy, so I'd appreciate all of the help I can get. I spent a lot of time and trouble building this rig, so I don't want to ditch it and go back to a 2 keg system if there is a reasonable way around it. Thanks.

Beers y'all,
Ken

Back