" Cursed " Recipe - got one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
Sitting here thinking about a recipe I have tried twice now - one time I killed it, last night I goofed but only a little ( I hope ) and I wonder -

Do you have a personal "cursed" recipe? One that you keep trying and it seems like somehow something ALWAYS goes wrong?

Though it would be fun to see if there are any out there.

It has been a disaster both times I've tried to make a blond ale, it's the only times I've ever dumped a batch. Both were tried during a Texas summer when I was a real n00b (as opposed to just kind of a n00b now) and I believe they were fermented too hot.

Maybe I'll try again now that it's cooled down.

I had one, but that only made me determined to make it right. I made one dumper, one that was meh at best, and then it all came together and was awesome, it's now one of my best recipes.

I tried to do an "Imperial Wit" kit from my LHBS twice. No idea why, I don't even like strong Wits but I guess the recipe looked interesting to me. Terrible beer, dumped both batches. First one was about 9% alcohol, had a ton of blueberries in the secondary, and tastes like cold medicine. Had cardamon in it as well. UGH. Second version was sort of soapy tasting and nasty. Never again.

belgian dark strong; one with fusel alcohol, one either contaminated or a strain of yeast i hate (still unsure about that one), and the 3rd was tannic and astringent. I make a great trippel though, you'd think it'd just carry over.

FWIW - I may have broken the curse. The one I made on 11/27 is now a week in the keg, and is pretty much between good and real good - not great - but I'm making strides none the less...

Back