Current gravity 1.018 - to bottle or not to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
That is the question.

I have an ESB kit from Seven Bridges (I know, I'm trying to move off the kits... in time....) and just took a hydrometer reading, as we were planning to bottle today. At a dead-on 60 degrees I get a reading of 1.018. With my standard 99 cent airlock in there, I was seeing about bubbling about every 35 seconds... consistently. It's been in secondary (carboy) for 20 days after spending 8 days in the bucket for primary. Been keeping it in my nice dark basement for the last month where it's been about 55 degrees.

Advice, anyone? Do we bottle today? Or will waiting benefit me?

Thanks, as always, for your generous help.

55° is probably too cold for most ale yeasts....I would warm it up to around 70°, wait a couple days and take another reading.

I guess I should've mentioned - I used Burton Ale Yeast. Don't know if that makes a difference or what temp I'm supposed to store at. I always thought my basement would be best.

Well, from White Labs website:

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast
From the famous brewing town of Burton upon Trent, England, this yeast is packed with character. It provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear. Great for all English styles, IPA's, bitters, and pales. Excellent in porters and stouts.
Attenuation: 69-75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

If it's been at 55 the whole time, you're lucky it fermented as much as it did! I'd bring it up to the high 60's and let it finish up, though! Depending on what the gravity was when you started, it might be nearing completion.

You may need to roust the yeast. Maybe use a sanitized racking cane to slowly stir some yeast back into suspension after you warm the beer to at least 65º.

Back