Cultured Pacman brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbie99

Reaction score
I propagated some Pacman from a couple of Dead Guys and pitched into EdWort's Haus Pale last night. Wow! that yeast is awesome. I already have about a 3 in thick Krausen and the airlock is working over time. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Webbie

I've got some Pacman from a Shakespeare stout that I've been stepping up over the past couple weeks that I'm going to use for a barleywine. I hope it's up to the task.

So I'm assuming from this that Rogue is unfiltered but force-carb'd, so you can culture yeast from it but it's hard? It's darn hard to get Rogue up here, but it might be worth it if the yeast is really that killer. Let me know how it tastes.

You can get it here. I just picked up a Shakespeare Stout for the purpose of culturing the yeast.

Wait, I heard that Rogue filtered the Dead Guy after fermentation, and then added a different yeast in order to bottle condition. Anybody know for sure?

If they are leaving the Pacman yeast in their Dead Guys then I'm about to start culturing.

mr x said:
You can get it here. I just picked up a Shakespeare Stout for the purpose of culturing the yeast.

Gotta love Premier.

It is force-carbed, though, right? We're not lucky enough for them to bottle-condition.

The batch I brewed yesterday was pitched with Pacman, but it was cultured from when Wyeast had smack packs of it last year. I made a starter from what I had left and pitched last night. It was already going this morning. I'm going to have plenty of Pacman after this one is done.

Pacman is back in stores as part of the Dead Guy Kit they are selling(you don't have to buy the kit to get the yeast). At least its in Portland brewing stores. Wyeast smack pack VSS series. One guy at Steinbarts (LHBS) said he thinks they bottle with a different yeast? But was not sure. Anyway, I am going to buy some-maybe you should too if you can and compare the bottle rendered yeast and the official Pacman.

TimBrewz said:
Pacman is back in stores as part of the Dead Guy Kit they are selling(you don't have to buy the kit to get the yeast). At least its in Portland brewing stores. Wyeast smack pack VSS series. One guy at Steinbarts (LHBS) said he thinks they bottle with a different yeast? But was not sure. Anyway, I am going to buy some-maybe you should too if you can and compare the bottle rendered yeast and the official Pacman.

Do they have an online store? I've been wanting to try this in a recipe.

I asked:
Good Morning,

Do you prime any of your beers with a yeast other than the pacman strain?

You guys make freaking awesome beers, wish you were on the east coast so I could visit more easily.

Thanks,
They responded below:

Hi Ryan, we don't but we do use different strains for our lagers such as Kell's. I'll copy our other brewers in our Issaquah Brewhouse and Eugene City Brewery so they can help you out with their awesome beers. I can only speak for the Rogue in Newport beers. :)

Cheers and thank you for your support!
Stacey Maier

Seems like it is the real deal stuff. I will post if there are any other follow up emails.

So apparently, it is possible to get Pacman from a Dead Guy (that's just a morbid phrase). That's awesome. Can't wait to hear more from the other guys.

Thanks a lot Ryan.

I had a failed starter that I tried to get out of a few bottles of dead guy. I did everything by the book (literally) and it didn't take. I'm on the east coast, so I don't know what might have happened in shipping but yeah I didn't have any luck. Ah well, there's always next time!

im on the east coast too, in nc, and i got some pacman from a rouge brutal bitter and used it in a few brews and had some good success. i have 4 mason jars of it left from the last batch. you gotta love yeast washing!!

Fermentation was all but done when I got home from work last night. Krausen has fallen and I am going to try to wash this yeast or maybe just pitch another batch in a few weeks on the cake. All in all I am please so far with the experiment. Will update on how the beer turned out.

Culturing a strain from a bottle-conditioned beer: does it take more than a week to build up a good pitchable culture? I just bought 4 Rogue Chocolate Stouts and was looking to brew a double chocolate espresso this weekend. I usually have good success pitching about 200mL of slurry. How long do you think it would take starting from what's left in the bottle to that amount?

ddroukas said:
Culturing a strain from a bottle-conditioned beer: does it take more than a week to build up a good pitchable culture? I just bought 4 Rogue Chocolate Stouts and was looking to brew a double chocolate espresso this weekend. I usually have good success pitching about 200mL of slurry. How long do you think it would take starting from what's left in the bottle to that amount?

I cultured some from a rouge brutal bitter. basically i took 1 pint of h2o and boiled it with a half cup of dme. i put this in a half gallon growler and pitched the dregs from the bottle and shook it up real good. i let that ferment for about 2 or 3 days, swirling occasionally. that i repeated the first step and added another pint of wort to the starter and let that go for a few days and pitched it all into my 5 gallons of english bitter. it worked out great. then i washed the yeast cake that was in the primary after racking and got 4 mason jars of pacman that are in the fridge waiting for the mext batch.:mug:

You should flame the opening of the bottle prior to pouring into the starter vessel. It is also best practice to flame the opening of the starter vessel prior to pouring in any liquids.

It is confirmed that wyeast is selling the pacman strain again. I don't know how long it'll last, but it's definitely for sale.

I may be wrong but I thought you could only get pacman from the shakspear stout and the brutal bitter? I may be wrong or they may filter the other ones a little more?
I am looking to try this soon also I have a bomber of the stout on my fridge just waiting to do this

Back