Cucumber in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryhz

Reaction score
So I want to brew a saison/farmhouse ale using Sorachi Ace hops (for those lemon notes) and implement cucumber taste.

I know Cigar City has done a successful cucumber saison.

How would I implement a notable cucumber taste/aroma to the beer?

"Dry hop" cucumbers in the fermentor after a week or two?

Any suggestions?

A guy in my club did a cucumber saison, also inspired by Cigar City's. If memory serves, he just did a large addition in secondary, just like you would do if you were adding any other fruit to a beer.

My guess is it would take a lot of cucumber to pull it off on a noticeable level. Cucumber is such a subtle flavor.

Let us know what you try and how it turns out!

Do you think I should peel the skin, or drop them as a whole? Or cut them up into pieces?

Not sure how many pounds I should use?

Any suggestions?

I used 8 pounds of pumpkin meat in an ale (cooked until starting to show golden on the edges before removing from the skin). I got a noticeable but faint pumpkin taste. If I do one again this year I will be going for 10+ and caramelizing it more.

Maybe this will give you an idea of how much you might need.

You definitely want to peel them. The new Zymurgy has Trinity brewing discussing the Elektrk Kukumbaah saison that one gold at GABF in 2013. Take a look at that but Id say peel and cut them to increase the surface area contact with the beer.

There's a brewery in the UK called Wild Beer Co. that does a saison with cucumber that's pretty terrific. They've answered questions I've sent them before, so maybe write them an email?

I peel them, cut them into chunks and freeze before adding them after primary slows down. Pound per gallon. Comes out great.

Back