Cucumber & Black Pepper Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
I love a cucumber sandwich with a ton of black pepper on it. So why not make that into a Saison?

I've got a good base saison recipe, but wondering when you would add the black pepper and cucumber.

Think whole peppercorns at flameout in the whirlpool. And add the cucumber in secondary.

How much of each for a 5 gallon batch/

Cigar City does a cucumber saison, never had it but with most of there bombers it sounds like something to split for sure.

I think you have the right idea with the crushed black pepper at flameout, watch your amounts though a little can go a long way.
Maybe try pureeing the cucumber and rack on top in primary if you loose to much cucumber flavor from fermentation you can "dry cuc" in the secondary also.

Cigar City does a cucumber saison, never had it but with most of there bombers it sounds like something to split for sure.

I think you have the right idea with the crushed black pepper at flameout, watch your amounts though a little can go a long way.
Maybe try pureeing the cucumber and rack on top in primary if you loose to much cucumber flavor from fermentation you can "dry cuc" in the secondary also.

I've had the Cigar City beer and I thought it was pretty awesome.

That might be the ticket on the cucumber. I'll post a recipe once I get around to brewing this. Hopefully soon.

I just made a rye saison with cucumber. I peeled, seeded, and chopped ~5 lbs cucumbers and ended with ~3 lbs. I dry-cuq'd for only 3 days and the cucumber aroma was intense and almost rotten like. It tasted good though. So next time less time on cucumbers and maybe less. Just my experience.

I just made a rye saison with cucumber. I peeled, seeded, and chopped ~5 lbs cucumbers and ended with ~3 lbs. I dry-cuq'd for only 3 days and the cucumber aroma was intense and almost rotten like. It tasted good though. So next time less time on cucumbers and maybe less. Just my experience.

Thanks. Your practical experience is way more than my theoretical thoughts on the beer. I'm thinking secondary is the way to go.

I have no experience with pepper corns however u could try soaking them in vodka/everclear for a few days. That might be the safest way to draw the flavors out. I'd hate to see you over/under the spice in the secondary and ruin a batch. I'd say soak for 4-5 days and then taste. I'd freeze it once u think its at ur liking and then skim the top before adding to the secondary.

Back