crystallized honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the volume and how much is crystalized. Hottest tap water you can get. Might take some time and multiple changes of water. Stir it or shake it in between each.

The temperature in a beehive averages 95º F but can get up to 140º F. Putting honey in hot water can work, but then the water gets cold and you've got to add more hot and on and on.
We've found success a couple of different ways -- place the honey in a warm sunny location (south facing window) or create a 'warm room' or a 'warm box' and leave the honey there for a few days until it re-liquifies. It takes patience. As well at how much it has crystallized, it also can depend on the type of honey. Lighter honey will tend to crystallize quicker and be hard to re-liquify. Darker honeys will tend to re-liquify more easily. Good luck!

How hot and how long to get crystallized honey flowing again?

You can try "nature's way" with using a sunny location or warm room depending upon how much time you have. Or.....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/crystallized-honey-question.673533/#post-8748854. Maintaining a heat source may be easier than you think.

I just used 5 lbs of Wegman's honey that was 90% crystallized. I placed the 1/2 gallon plastic jug of honey in hot tap water for about 1/2 hour then heated my mead water to about 100F. I poured off what honey I could then I added the "brewing" water to the jug and used a butter knife to break up the hardened honey. I ended up sawing off the top couple of inches of the jug with a bread knife and it took about 15 minutes to get all the honey out of the container.
I'm calling this batch my "COVID Special" because I used a large quantity of frozen fruit that got evicted from the freezer by SWMBO when she stocked up on frozen food because of the pandemic hysteria.

Back