Crystal Pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
I have looked around and can not seem to find a place that I can buy 1 lb+ of Crystal Pellet hops.
Does anyone know of a good source to buy them in bulk?

Yeah I got Crystal pellets from HopsDirect last year; I am not sure why they never got them pelletized this year.

I just emailed hopsdirect to see if they would be getting anymore. As for chicompany something is telling me to say away from them, not sure why but I think I will go with my gut feeling on that one. I know that people here have ordered from them with great results so I can not really explain why I feel the way I do.
but anyway if anyone has anyother sources for these hops in bulk please post.

thanks

Not sure you'll like the prices or whatever, but a simple Google search shows a buncha places with Crystal Hop pellets:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ops/pellet-hops/crystal-hop-pellets-1-oz.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/hops/pellets-usa.html

http://hopstoyou.com/pellets.html

Last link looks to have the cheapest of these three, but still roughly twice the cost of Hops Direct.

Your are right and thanks but I already know of all them places but I am looking for bulk 1+ lbs and most of them only carry oz sizes and at the most 1/2 lb.

Your are right and thanks but I already know of all them places but I am looking for bulk 1+ lbs and most of them only carry oz sizes and at the most 1/2 lb.

Are you looking for a price break or something? What's stopping you from just ordering 3 (or more) of the half pound bags? If you're not using them quickly, keeping the other pellets in a still sealed bag will make them last longer.

I doubt you're going to find Crystal pellets in bulk unless Hops Direct gets them. It's somewhat difficult to even find Crystal pellets at all. They're not as popular as their sister Mt Hood.

That Chico place has *11* pound bags if you really want bulk. Hunch aside, maybe you should consider them.

You have a point MattHollingsworth. So my next question would be what would be the closest hop (substitute) for Crystal hops?

You have a point MattHollingsworth. So my next question would be what would be the closest hop (substitute) for Crystal hops?

Genetically, they're a Hallertauer Triploid, like Liberty and Mt. Hood. But they don't taste like those hops to me. Crystal has a nice little citrus kick to it that those others don't IMHO. If it's for a hoppy beer, I wouldn't sub Crystal if you're looking for the same flavor. Guessing you're matching a recipe? I suppose if you MUST sub it, for a hoppy beer, I'd use Mt Hood, for a softer beer, I'd use Liberty. But that's just my opinion. And I haven't used Mt Hood or Liberty in a while.

Well it is not for a hoppy beer it is for this recipe here. I am planning on brewing allot of this to last me the summer and I am just trying to stock up in preparation for the batches.

I guess I will just order from Chicompany.com and get the 1/2 lb of crystal, that should give me at lease 8 batches.

Ummnnn, that recipe calls for only a single 60 minute hop addition (1/2 willamette, 1/2 crystal). No offense to BM, but you can use just about any mild flavored hop with the same effect. At 60 minutes, you're only getting the bitterness, all of the flavor and aroma has boiled off by the end. Don't beat yourself up trying to find crystal pellets, because it won't matter in the end. My advice is to just use willamette and make sure you adjust the amount to give the right amount of IBU's.:mug:

Back