Crystal malt sub in sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkngs

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing Jamil's sweet stout as my first all grain batch, and am putting my order together on AHS, but they don't have any crystal 80.

Would you folks suggest going with 90 or 60? How different is this likely to be from the 80?

The suggested grain bill is:

10 lbs british pale
1 lbs black patent
0.75 lbs crystal 80
0.5 lbs pale chocolate
1 lbs lactose

AHS sells by the pound, do you have a scale to measure out the .75 lbs? If so you could probably scale back the 90 a little. The 90 will be a little darker and have more raisin like flavors. If you like a sweeter stout you'll probably get more perceived sweetness with the 60 over the 90

Thanks Jaeger,

I can use my wife's kitchen scale to change the amounts.

What if I mix them? Something like:

8 ounces crystal 60
4 ounces crystal 90

90 is really close to 80, I say just go with that. anything within 10L is so close that unless you were doing a side-by-side tasting you'd probably not tell the difference (especally in a stout). YMMV.

+ or - 10L I consider the same ingredient, +-20L I call it a sub and expect subtle changes but still within the intent of the recipe. Especially with a Stout small differences in caramel malts will be hard to detect.

Use the 90l as a replacement.

Craig

There's no Roasted Barley in Jamil's stout:confused:

I would sub RB for the Black Patent, but that's just me

And I agree with the others that you won't notice any difference between 80L and 90L

I believe that AHS does sell by the oz online, FYI.

+1 that you're certainly not going to be able to taste a difference between 12 oz of 80L and 12 oz of 90L, and in a beer that dark, neither 60L or 90L will have any discernable impact on the SRM.

I would also recommend getting some roasted barley in there. I went with 8 oz of black patent and 8 oz of roasted barley in mine and I thought it turned out well.

I don't have the book with me right now, but I think his recipes are for 70% efficiency. I think the OG on this was 1.060

Jamil does tend to aim for 6.5 gallons at the end of the boil though, that might be where the excess is going. I guess he REALLY doesn't like getting break material in his fermenter :)

Back