Crystal Malt residual sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
Which of the crystal malts (low *L rating or high *L rating) offers more residual sweetness to a beer? I'm not so much interested in the flavor each imparts (at least as far as this particular question is concerned), but strictly the residual sweetness in the flavor. Thank you all!

The lower end of the crystal spectrum should give you the more noticeable residual sweetness. 10L-40L or 60L should be the sweetest of the crystals. That's my understanding without doing any side-by-sides.
Cheers

None of the crystals leave much sweetness. More of a caramel flavor with an underlying sweetness.

None of the crystals leave much sweetness. More of a caramel flavor with an underlying sweetness.

If that's true, which malt do you believe leaves more residual sweetness than the aforementioned 40L Crystal?

I'm trying to up the residual sweetness in one of my recipes w/o using any back-end sweetener.

My understanding is that they'll all leave about the same amount, but the character of each one is different. Don't quote me on that, though.

I'm trying to up the residual sweetness in one of my recipes w/o using any back-end sweetener.
Maybe sub some Munich malt for some of the base grain and/or use a small amount of Honey Malt.

EDIT: I've read that Golden Promise is a bit sweeter than other base malts so maybe try that too. I've never compared.

Latest posts

Back