crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddelgado77

Reaction score
I ordered a few all grain kits from Austin homebrew store. I read a few places to store the crushed grains in the freezer. Do I take them out of the freezer right before brewing? Or the day before?

I ordered a few all grain kits from Austin homebrew store. I read a few places to store the crushed grains in the freezer. Do I take them out of the freezer right before brewing? Or the day before?

You can take them out early in the day, so they aren't still frozen when you mash in. Or, I guess you could calculate your strike water to be hotter as to not lose too much temp from the frozen grains. But if it was me, I'd probably take them out early in the day and let them warm up a bit.

It doesn't really matter, but be warned if your grain is cold or cool it will affect your mash temp unless you compensate and raise your strike temp. To avoid this complication, I would suggest taking them out the day before.

Not to mention you would have to wait for them to thaw during mashing to get proper starch conversion.

Back