Crown issue ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddybrews2

Reaction score
I have 2 types of crowns and apparently 2 types of bottles. The crown on the left will only go on to the left bottle. The crown on the right will go on either. I can't figure out why?

image-2628514433.jpg

image-2676191282.jpg

image-3926587815.jpg

If you look at the necks and the area where the crown crimps on to you will see the difference. The area of the bottle on the right has a much smaller area for the crown to crimp on. Now looks at the picture of the crowns on the bottles. The gold crown has a smaller crimp area hence the reason the silver will not work on the bottle with the smaller area.

Actually both caps will work on both bottles, it's the difference in the bottles. The bottle on the left has a lower lip for the capper to grab on to as it crimps so you get a more complete crimp. The bottle on the right has a higher lip for the capper to grab so it does not have a full range to crimp but IME I have never had a problem with a bottle leaking.

I have bottles that are mixed like this as well and while the left style crimps better the right ones work well regardless of the caps I use. I do use the silver oxygen barrier caps on all my bottles. I have been told that if you purchase or use a bench capper instead of a wing capper the problem goes away as the bench capper does not utilize the lip for capping purposes:)

I had this exact problem as well and purchased a bench capper. That solves the problem of the neck variation plus makes bottling go faster. However, even though the caps aren't crimped completly with a lever capper they still won't leak. The problem I had was breaking the tops while capping

Back