Crossing into USA with Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I'm heading into the US for a night of indoor water park and fun with the family and was wondering if US Customs allows Homebrew to cross the border. I'd only be taking a 6-pack from Windsor to Detroit.

Any experience with such matters? I have no trouble taking a six pack of mixed commercial craft beer back to Canada, I just have no idea what the US Customs rules are for unmarked bottles.

You have to meet me at the border and I'll usher your beer across. For a finder's fee of beer of course. Because I am a certified "beer inspector" after all.

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

:)

Actually I don't have an answer.

I think if i was in your situation that i would recykle some comersial lables
But thats just me

Might have to proove that its beer if unmarked...

Import regulations require an ABV to be on there from what I know of them.

Honestly, just make your own label with a "brewery" name on it and slap an ABV (even if it's blatantly false) and you should be fine. Just tell them it's a local brew from your town. Most of us Americans are ignorant enough of Canadian geography that we'd believe you.

Just keep your mouth shut and RDWHAHB. I've "imported" so many bottles of wine and vodka from oversees in my checked luggage that I should have a tax license. I just report "nothing to declare" on my customs form.

Back