Cross Country

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oventoasted

Reaction score
So, in a couple of weeks im traveling cross the united states back home to see friends and family. They always wanted to try the home brew and see what its all about.

My question to you all is, will a carbed up corny keg full of HB survive a road trip of about 30 hrs across the US? What should I plan for and what could i expect if the keg gets too warm or even hot?

I would love anyone's feedback or personal experiences! :mug:

I've taken cornies camping in warm weather. Chill it as low as you can before you go (without freezing), wrap it in insulation and you'll be fine. It won't heat up too much (assuming the car is not too hot). Any impact to the quality of the beer will be minimal.

Can you bottle off the keg, cap and put them in a cooler of ice for the road trip? May take more time and space that way but I often bottle from my kegs and either ship them or take them in the car with no ill effect.

I do it all the time- we live in S. Texas in the winter, and northern Michigan the rest of the year. I generally haul three cornies to Texas.

I keep them upright, just in case of a leaking post. The only thing you want to be careful of is not leaving a c02 tank in a hot trunk or hot car. That can explode. Room temperature, or a bit warmer, is ok.

Back