Crosman Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After some measurement confusion, I got the idea that my ale is probably done fermenting. Someone mentioned the possibility of losing the CO2 over the beer in the fermenter and exposing it to oxygen. Here I was, with days between me and the arrival of my Cornys. It made me nervous. I fermented the beer with a loose lid, and CO2 isn't much heavier than air, so I was concerned.

I have CO2 tanks, but I was fooling around with a handheld charger that uses cartridges. I have a huge bag of Crosman cartridges, and I thought people who were afraid of them were probably just hysterical. I shot a blast of CO2 in the bucket and shut the lid. I figured a little added CO2 would not hurt.

At about the same time, I pumped up a bottle of Coke.

When I tried the Coke, it tasted the way a discharged Crosman cartridge smells, so I decided not to drink it.

I scooped some beer off the top of the batch, and it tastes great. Does this mean it's okay or just that the oil is harder to taste in 5 gallons of beer than it is in a liter of Coke? I do not know.

Anyway, I am not thrilled about it, but I suppose it's not a disaster. This was my Braumeister shakedown cruise, I was learning to use a refractometer, and I was also trying to recover basic brewing skills after my years away, so worst case scenario: $25 worth of ingredients will now be considered tuition.

For science, I shot an entire cartridge of CO2 against the side of a utility sink, and there was no residue whatsoever. I suppose this means whatever makes it smell is present in amounts so tiny they're unlikely to hurt anyone. Not advising anyone to drink Crosman beer. Maybe you'll die.

Hey, people should be glad someone was crazy enough to do this and brave enough to admit it! I may have saved beers or, less importantly, lives.

1673157557513.png

Might have to move some to smaller packages!

Back