Critiques Needed for Cascade Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles_1111

Reaction score
I am gonna try this Pale Ale recipe this weekend. Need some critiques before I go down with it. :)

Batch Size: 2.5 gal ( All Grain )
Est OG: 1.057
Est FG: 1.013
EstABV: 5.8%
Color: 13.2 EBC
IBU: 41.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
4.4 lbs 83.3% Pilsner
0.44 lbs 8.3% Munich Light
0.44 lbs 8.3% Biscuit

0.53 oz Cascade (6.9% AA) @30 mins 22.6 IBUs
0.53 oz Cascade (6.9% AA) @10 mins 10.7 IBUs
0.71 oz Cascade (6.9% AA) @5 mins 7.8 IBUs
0.88 oz Cascade (6.9% AA) @0 mins 0 IBUs
0.88 oz Cascade (6.9% AA) Dry hop for 7 days

BRY-97 for yeast

Is it too old school to use Cascade for pale ale? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Looks OK to me. Just a different take on SNPA. I love Cascade, I grow them, and make a couple of Cascade prominent Pale Ales each year when I get the new crop.

Looks OK to me. Just a different take on SNPA. I love Cascade, I grow them, and make a couple of Cascade prominent Pale Ales each year when I get the new crop.
I will add hops at @30mins instead of @60mins, to prevent too much bitterness. Does it make sense to you? Or I don't need to consider this for Cascade? Cheers

I regularly do a simple pale ale with all cascade. I love it, but i’m admittedly shooting for that pale ale that was popular 15 years ago.

I do normally use a 60 minute addition but I’ve also gone latter. This will be great.

This will also be a simple recipe that you can play with and nail down you grain bill to exactly what you want after a couple brews.

Just throwing this out there but I would go with Maris Otter for a pale...for me it gives a nice malty backbone that balances well with Cascade hops...Pilsner and 2 Row just don’t do it for me for a pale...you may even want to consider Golden Promise as well...again just a thought the recipe looks good as is

It looks good to me, never be afraid to use the grains you have. You will never know how something will turn out until you try it. I know that there are certain grains that I don't like in my pale ales but I never would have known it unless I tried it. Good or bad they all end up in the toilet.

It looks good to me, never be afraid to use the grains you have. You will never know how something will turn out until you try it. I know that there are certain grains that I don't like in my pale ales but I never would have known it unless I tried it. Good or bad they all end up in the toilet.
Classic!

Latest posts

Back