critique wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a lighter beer for my girlfriend, and was tossing around this recipe, and would like some opinions.

7 LBS ultra light or light LME
1.25 LBS Crystal 15L
1 OZ Mangum 45 mins
1 OZ Cascade 10 mins
1 OZ Fuggle 5 mins

making a 5 gal batch, steeping the Crystal for 20 minutes, and adding whirlfloc at flame out.

Well to answer your question...your beer would be light in color.

If you're going for a light color and a 'light' flavor profile I would recommend not using Magnum, it's a high AA hop which will add a significant amount of bitterness. Try using a lower AA hop such as Willamette, Goldings or Hallertau for bittering.

I guess it really depends on what your complete definition of 'light' is. You have several options available to you either way. If you provide a bit more detail I would be able to offer a bit more insight.

thanks for the quick responses, i do not have a commercial brew in mind, as for comparative, just wanting something that is light in color, and not too hoppy, and is ready for the keg in about 10 - 14 days. the last couple of batches were a brown ale, and a vanilla porter, so they were for me and she's wanting something for her. i am now thinking that the hallertau may be a good choice, due to the flavor profiles. oh, and i am planning on using WLP001 yeast for this batch.
Thanks again.

thanks for the quick responses, i do not have a commercial brew in mind, as for comparative, just wanting something that is light in color, and not too hoppy, and is ready for the keg in about 10 - 14 days. the last couple of batches were a brown ale, and a vanilla porter, so they were for me and she's wanting something for her. i am now thinking that the hallertau may be a good choice, due to the flavor profiles. oh, and i am planning on using WLP001 yeast for this batch.
Thanks again.

If you plan on using the WLP001, you'll get most of your flavor profile from the grain bill and hop additions. If you decide that you want the yeast to play a role in taste as well I would recommend the WLP002 strain which will add a bit of sweetness/maltiness.

Also...You may also want to try brewing a Belgian Wit, which typically calls for orange peel and coriander (think Blue Moon)...again the possibilities are endless, really.

The great thing is you're brewing beer specifically for your GF which gets you a lot of points and if she doesn't like it, you get to drink it! That is definitely a win-win.

One last piece of information; the best way to understand what each of the different ingredients (hops, malts, yeast) add to a beer is to brew a previous batch of beer you've made and only change one ingredient.

I know it seems like a laborious process, especially when you're new to brewing...however it really is the best way to get dialed into creating your own unique beers.

Hope this helps and happy brewing...

If you plan on using the WLP001, you'll get most of your flavor profile from the grain bill and hop additions. If you decide that you want the yeast to play a role in taste as well I would recommend the WLP002 strain which will add a bit of sweetness/maltiness.

Also...You may also want to try brewing a Belgian Wit, which typically calls for orange peel and coriander (think Blue Moon)...again the possibilities are endless, really.

The great thing is you're brewing beer specifically for your GF which gets you a lot of points and if she doesn't like it, you get to drink it! That is definitely a win-win.

One last piece of information; the best way to understand what each of the different ingredients (hops, malts, yeast) add to a beer is to brew a previous batch of beer you've made and only change one ingredient.

I know it seems like a laborious process, especially when you're new to brewing...however it really is the best way to get dialed into creating your own unique beers.

Hope this helps and happy brewing...

I had not thought of brewing and changing only one ingredient, but it makes sense. Thank you

well, i ended up with
1.25 lbs Caramel 10L
6.6 LBS Golden light lme
Hallertau,Fuggle and Cascade hops
WLP 002.

Got everything brewed yesterday, and already it is bubbling like crazy. If I took the reading correctly, the OG was 1.049-1.050. The brew had a nice amber color to it, and I am hoping that all turns out well.

This brew turned out good. I'm calling it a light IPA, because it does have a slight grapefruit taste to it. Others that have tried it really like it .

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good deal, glad it turned out well...the cascade hop is one of my favorites because of the citrus and grapefruit profile

Back