Critique/Suggestions for 2 Tier Brew Rig Plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgalt

Reaction score
I've attached a very crude plan (made with my expert MS paint skills) for my wooden brew rig that I plan to build as soon as weather permits. I've planned it for the equipment that I currently own. (This doesn't have all the small details such as wort chiller, quick disconnects, etc.)

The reasoning behind the two tier is to not have the HLT high in the air (ie. 3 tier stand), and the fact that I only have one burner at present (and likely for a large part of the future). The plan is to be able to move the burner under the kettle in use, by having the kettles sit on a metal stand (some type of square tubing, angle iron, or thick piping, etc.) just slightly higher than the burner (box in red on the picture).

So the basics are to have the burner under the HLT - water into the MLT - mash and sparge - drain into a container (about 1 gallon in size) - pour wort into the boil kettle - move the burner under the Kettle - Boil and drain to fermenter. This will allow gravity to do most of the work, only having to move wort from the MLT to the boil Kettle (until I get a pump, which again is not in the cards for the forseeable future). I'll be doing 10 gallon batches, so I'm looking to avoid much lifting.

I didn't come across a setup quite like this, and I'd appreciate any suggestions or critique about the plan/brewing procedure.

The only issue I see is potential hot side aeration from pouring the wort into the boil kettle from the MLT. (Not sure if I really want to open that pail of worms in this thread).

Thanks.

brewrig.jpg

This is very similar to my set up - which involves the mash tun being on a chair. Although I have two 15 gallon kettles I only use one - doubles as HLT and BK. I just collect the first runnings in a bucket (later to be primary) empty the HLT into the mashtun and then it becomes the BK. I am going to build a stand soon and involve a pump but am going try to keep it as a 2 vessel system for space and cleaning. Also I have to set up and take down each time so it is less moving stuff around.

Latest posts

Back