Critique Pumpernickel Porter recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
These grains happen to be on hand and it seemed appropriate for a pumpernickel porter. The idea is to highlight the malt and give a bready, substantial feel like a good, dark, pumpernickel bread. I like a strong head on the beer regardless if it is a porter, thus the oatmeal and a little more carb.

What would you change? is it too much oatmeal? Need more rye malt? Too many grains?

Thanks very much!

Pumpernickel Porter

Style: Brown porter
Batch: 5.25 gal
Est. OG: 1.50
IBU: 21

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lbs 8 oz Munich Malt
12 oz Chocolate Rye Malt
8 oz Oats, Flaked
4 oz Roasted Barley
10 g (1 tablespoon) Caraway Seeds (Boil 60 mins) Fresh, crushed
1 oz Willamette - 30 min
1 oz Willamette - 10 min
1 Safale -05 yeast
Carbonate to 2.3 vol

Yum. If you want it to read substantial with that solid mouthfeel, you may want to consider an English ale yeast instead of that us05. That yeast always seems to clean up after itself too well for that style.

OK, so one comment and no negatives. I guess it is all right. I will use S-04 as suggested unless I come across some Wyeast 1968. The high flocculation might help with any cloudiness from oatmeal.

Taste notes:

• Yes, I agree two weeks in the bottle is too young. I just checked if it was a disaster or drinkable
  • This was mashed too low at 152-148F. It is a bit dry. It really should have been up around 156-158F to get that sweet bread-y character.
  • The caraway flavor completely disappeared, and this was very fresh and fragrant seed. I think the 60 minute boil was too long and vaped the oils. I would increase the seed and boil 10 minutes or less. 10g is less than a tablespoon.
  • The chocolate rye is very nice. It could use more chocolate rye without any problem.
  • Molasses would have been a good adjunct, but not necessary.
  • The oatmeal gives a good mouthfeel.
  • The Willamette hops were a good choice. It tastes clean and neutral, not funky, citrus, or floral. The bitterness is very slight as intended.

Latest posts

Back