Critique my Winter Warmer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberslacker

Reaction score
I've never made a recipe before so I really have no idea what I'm doing but I got it into my head that I wanted to make a Winter Warmer despite the fact that I have never had a winter warmer before.

The recipe that I have currently is based pretty strongly on Deschutes Jubelale but I am definitely open to any changes or any recomendations. It's going to be extract because I'm on a college campus and don't have room for any more equipment than I already have.

Here it goes:

This would be a 3.5 gallon starting volume (boil down to 2.75 or so?), late extract addition.

Target OG: 1.078
Target FG: 1.018

Extract:

10.5lbs Pale LME

Specialty Grains:

Crystal Malt 120L--20.8oz
Crystal Malt 80L--11.2oz
Cara-pils--2.6oz
Roasted Barley--1.3oz

Hops:

0.8oz Galena Pellet @60min
0.6oz Cascade Whole @60min
0.2oz Willamette Whole@60min
1.0oz Tettnang Whole @30min
0.5oz EK Golding Pellet @Flameout

1.0oz EKG Dryhop
0.5oz Cascade Whole Dryhop

Yeast:

Wyeast 1187 w/ starter

What would you do differently to make a kick ass beer to help survive the cold snowy winters up here in pretty-much-canada-New York? Like I said it's my first recipe that I've kind of put together (pretty much just smooshed two recipes together) and would love any feedback or criticism.

Thanks!

I'd go for less crystal and more simple sugars. I'd replace half, if not all, of the darker crystal for dark invert sugar or dark candi syrup. I like those ales with a tad of alcohol bite and not too cloying sweet (which is what all that malt will give you).

I'm not a connoisseur of winter warmers but that's a lot of crystal. I second the idea of substituting a sugar for the crystal. Unless you want it very sweet.

Maybe go on northern brewers website and take a look at the ingredients in their winter warmer. Or check out other similar extract beers there and see what grains they add to achieve your goal.

Back