Critique My Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamw

Reaction score
Hi All,

Did my first AG batch a few days ago and i feel like it was a success. I've got a question about my process that I'd love some input on.

I have only 1 pot large enough for a BK/MLT (8 Gal). What I did was heat my strike water in it, mash in my converted cooler MLT, then drain first runnings back into my 8 gal pot. I then batch sparged with cold water. I've been doing some reading on this site and ot seems that a cold water sparge does not really matter, so am I fine doing this?

I guess my finished beer will tell, but otherwise the process seemed to go well. I got 76% efficiency, which I'm quite pleased with. The batch, for information's sake, was a 5.5gal Galaxy hop IPA

Thanks!

The sugars dissolve more easily in warm water. You could heat your strike water and use a fermentor/bottling bucket for the few minutes it takes to collect your first runnings.

My understanding is that the cold water sparge will work with a few points of efficiency lost. Kai Troester did some experimentation on this, that would be worth checking out. I am in your situation as well. I have only 1 kettle. However, instead of sparging with cold water I run off into buckets while I heat the sparge water then combine the runnings back into the pot for the boil.

Buy yourself a cheap pot at walmart. I have an aluminum 4 gallon pot for heating up sparge water. it was $12 if I recall correctly. I do partial boils of 4 gallon in a 5 gallon SS pot, top off in fermenter, and have had other homebrewers tell me my beer is excellent.

As I understand Kai's research, a cold sparge is no less efficient, as the sugar is already dissolved, and the sugar concentration is low and easily remains soluble cold or hot.

The advantage to a hot sparge is that it will not cool your collected wort thereby speeding up the process. Less time heating mash to boil.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I do a lot of cold sparges and really havent noticed an efficiency loss. It saves extra work and fuel. If its a day where I have a lot of time I still prefer to fly sparge. I think it makes a slightly richer brew

Back