Critique My Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg86

Reaction score
I so have made a couple attempts at a low bitter / high aroma NEIPA, but have fallen short on the aroma department. The beers tasted great though. So being my 3rd attempt, I decided to go all in. I am going for a NEIPA style in essence, but someone may better classify the beer. My prior recipes were heavy on oats with 3lb flaked oats and 1lb white wheat, but I found the beer would settle clear... my wheat beers don't clarify so that's why I am trying more wheat and less oats. I also previously used TYB Vermont, but again, not sure if should change up the yeast. I have Voss Kviek, TYB Vermont, TYB Midwestern on hand. Voss Kviek stays hazy and has nice citrus notes, so thought that might be fun to try.

Grain Bill for 6 gallon batch, Planned mash @ 154° x 60

#10 2-row
#4 White Wheat
#1 Caramel 40
#1 Flaked Oats
#12oz Carapils

Hops:

El Dorado 1oz @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
El Dorado 1 oz @ 180° x 30 Minutes Whirlpool
El Dorado 1 oz @ 160° x 30 Minutes Whirlpool
Simcoe 1 oz Cryo Dry Hop Day 3
Mosaic 1 oz Cryo X Dry Hop Day 5
Citra 1 oz Cryo x Dry Hop Day 7.

Will crash and keg around day 10.

Should be around OG 1.074, but am considering #1 dextrose too which would make it 1.084
Bitterness target is 40 IBU's as that seemed to be a crowd pleaser from prior batches.

Looking forward to any and all criticism, although the grain bill is already ground so I cannot make changes aside from adding more or less oats.

Odd that you say it clears out, my beer I just brewed...the one pictured...has pound of each flaked wheat and flaked oats. I even cold crashed it for 2 days to pull the yeast out but mine too doesnt have much aroma for being 10 oz. Of hops, taste good more dank thank anything.
20190124_232717.jpeg

Mine initially looked like that.. But after about 1 month the keg started pouring just shy of brilliant beer. Ironically my wheat beer with TYB Midwestern Ale Yeast which was brewed, kegged, and consumed in the same time frame looked the same from start to finish... Nice and cloudy

Back