Critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
What do you think about this recipe
8 lb wheat
8 2 row
1/2 peated
1/2 crystal 60
.5 Columbus @60
1 cascade @ 30
1 cascade @ 15
90 min boil
Us-05 for yeast

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What do you think about this recipe
8 lb wheat
8 2 row
3/4 peated
.5 Columbus @60
1 cascade @ 30
1 cascade @ 15

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I hate peated malt, and find it tastes like licking an ashtray. But some like it. If you do that's great, but 1/4 pound is still a lot. It may not mix well with cascade (citrusy) hops. If you want a smoked flavor, rauchmalt would be my preference for a smoky flavor, with those citrusy hops. But flavor is subjective, after all, and if you love peated malt then by all means you should use it!

I did a version of John Palmer's Elevenses. I used 1 pound of Oak Smoked Wheat malt and added only .1 pound of Peat Smoked malt. I don't think I would use more than .25 pounds. It has a very heavy, somewhat harsh, smoke flavor. A pinch added to a milder smoked malt works well, IMO.

I would leave the C-60 in the recipe to give some sweet malty to blend with the smoke, but use quite a bit less peat smoked malt.

Nothing wrong with peat malt. Just use carefully. I used 0.25 lbs in a clone of Stone Smoked Porter. Nailed it - perfect. More would have been too much.

Back